Got me a new PM 25MV

ed0849

Registered
Registered
I finally got my PM 25MV yesterday after giving up on Grizzly. The UPS guy rolled it right up to my garage door. I also got my dro's from DRO PROS, I got the ES-8A 2 axis they look to be pretty well made.
IMG_1217.JPG IMG_1213.JPG

I already took off the X table and inspected and removed the oil (probably whale blubber or something) I removed some small burrs and sharp edges, otherwise the ways looked in pretty good shape. I noticed some of the ways are scraped and some are not.
IMG_1219.JPG IMG_1218.JPG

I bought a 1/2" mounting clamp set and I discovered the T Nuts don't fit they are way too big so I called up Matt at Quality Machine and he told me the slots are actually 12mm, be nice if they corrected that on their website. Actually i'm glad I bought the inch set instead of the metric set as the metric set has metric threads in the T Nuts, Ill just mill the nuts I have with my new mill.
IMG_1220.JPG

I also asked Matt where the spindle lock was, he said there wasn't any and you just hold the spindle with your hand while tightning the drawbar, I'm going to make a spindle lock and make some improvements on the drawbar. I also noticed that the base looks kind of narrow, I don't want this tipping over on me as I am not bolting it to the floor, I ordered some 2" square tubing with .250 inch walls, Im going to make some outriggers and put some leveling feet under those, I will post some pics when I get to that. Also I was wondering if I should cut an access hole in the top of the cabinet and chip pan so I can have access to the leadscrew adjustment nut, Is that for adjusting backlash?? Any feedback would be great. That's it for now.

IMG_1217.JPG IMG_1213.JPG IMG_1219.JPG IMG_1218.JPG IMG_1220.JPG

Congrats Ed. I got mine today and got it uncrated. I set it on the stand and the mill does not reach far enough back to be able to bolt to anything. How does your mill line up with the top of the stand?

Looks to me like the Hobby-Machinist members took a serious toll on Precision Machine's PM25 inventory. :))

From an Email conversation: About 3 weeks ago, Matt had a LOT of machines in the hobby category of all sizes in stock... it appears most of them are sold now.

Next batch probably will be THXgiving or Christmas presents.

Congrats Ed. I got mine today and got it uncrated. I set it on the stand and the mill does not reach far enough back to be able to bolt to anything. How does your mill line up with the top of the stand?

I havent placed mine on the stand yet as I am going to modify the stand, but I will measure it up when I get home tonight.

Never mind, I realized as I was laying in bed last night that I had the stand upside down. What a knuckle head!

I havent placed mine on the stand yet as I am going to modify the stand, but I will measure it up when I get home tonight.

Never mind, I realized as I was laying in bed last night that I had the stand upside down. What a knuckle head!

That's a good one Brooks -
And I kept looking at your pictures thinking to myself, "now why would they drill holes in the bottom of that stand?"

2 more days and mine will be here!

I finished installing my X axis dro today. I used the existing screw holes that was used for the way/leadscrew protector as I don't have a right angle drill to drill new holes and I didn't want to take off the upright column. I first mounted the scale on the rear of the X table and leveled it to within .002. I also had to make a custom bracket for the read head.
IMG_1232.JPG

Notice I put in 4 jack screws so I wouldn't have to worry about shims.

IMG_1234.JPG

IMG_1235.JPG

IMG_1237.JPG

Here is the cover installed I had to drill a couple of holes in the scale mounting bracket. I also have to remove the lip on the rear of the cover as it hits the column. I plugged in the display and it actually worked. I wanted to check the accuracy so I jury rigged a set of 6" verniers to compare against, at 4" it was within .001. I am confident it is accurate. Now I just have to figure out something to cover the Y leadscrew. Tomorrow I start the Y axis, I think I already know how I'm going to do it:thinking:

IMG_1232.JPG IMG_1234.JPG IMG_1235.JPG IMG_1237.JPG

I finished my Y axis today. First thing I had to do was modify the mounting bracket the scale mounts on with some jack screws because the side of the casting is not square. I mounted the bracket and dialed in the jack screws until the bracket was square. Next I leveled the scale with a indicator, I got it within a few thousands. Next I mounted the brackets for the read head, I had to remove part of the brackets with my bandsaw because it was interfering with the handwheel. I powered everything and it all seems to be working fine. I didnt like all the backlash in the Z axis handwheel so I put a .030 shim behind the bevel gear. Next I'm going to start working on my stand, I think I am going to cut a hole in topof the stand so I will have access to the bottom of the machine. My square tubing is supposed to be in Wednesday for the legs.

IMG_1238.JPG

IMG_1239.JPG

IMG_1240.JPG

IMG_1241.JPG

IMG_1238.JPG IMG_1239.JPG IMG_1240.JPG IMG_1241.JPG

Back