Got it Done.

rock_breaker

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Made a bracket out of aluminum to replace the broken plastic one on the door of my camp trailer. The bracket holds the door open to increase ventilation. The holes for the fastening screws came out without the screws binding or elongating holes. This bracket is essentially a Tee with a large trunk that holds a 1/2 " diameter by 3/4" long piece of phenol that the door bracket slips over. The door bracket works like our thumb and fingers.
Used diesel fuel on the 5/8" thick aluminum and a 1/2" roughing mill, there is a difference from using motor oil. The tractor will never miss the small amount of diesel I will use from now on.

Cut the 1-1/2" long trunk sides full depth in.010" increments with the roughing mill. Lots of chips (swarf). To get maximum wrap on the phenol plug I cut the end of the tee trunk parallel to the door in full open position approximately 170` swing. Also had to cut metal away so the door clamp could close fully. Though this is a minor project I did learn a lot by using tips from this website, thanks guys.

This clamp is not the most effective holder and ideas for a better one came to mind, must be 20/20 hindsight.

Have a good day
Ray

hey Ray, you do know that if we don't see a picture...well perhaps it didn't happen....just kidding of course.

David

hey Ray, you do know that if we don't see a picture...well perhaps it didn't happen....just kidding of course.

David

Yeah David, Ray is a good story teller. :laughing:

Hey Ray, feels pretty good to fix something by making it way better. Version II can come later.

Well I am an RV'er so am interested in what he has done.

David

Diesel has a very persistent aroma - a little goes a long way. It is not a bad scent, my preference would be kerosene or WD40.

I hear you on the pictures, my first step is to learn how to get the pictures out of the cell phone to where I can get them on the forum which is the second step. I have grand kids that can do this easily but they are seldom here and when they try to explain it to me it seems like they take 3 or 4 steps at a time. Hope I can get it before pushing up daisies. If I can cut a thread I should be able to send pictures.
With respect to diesel fuel I normally buy it in 25 gallon quantities for my 18 horsepower tractor, using it in the shop was to see how it would do; kerosene is an extra stop to the bulk fuel dealer and one more container in storage. I know many machinists use WD40 but I seldom have it on hand.
As I understand the use of subject fluids is to prevent build-up on the cutting tool, doesn't motor oil do this? No doubt I am missing something here.
Have a good day!
Ray

When I take a pic with the cell phone, I e-mail it to myself right away. Then all I have to do is copy the pic from the e-mail, to my photo file on the computer.

Any flavor of penetrating oil will work well also. Only one was too acid fumey to use. I buy whatever can be found at yard sales.

Back