Got a very bad Union machinists chest is it worth saving?

Ebel440

Active User
Registered
I bought an old wooden union machinists chest over the weekend for the tools it had inside. If it was just the box I would have just skipped buying it because its so beat up. It has what looks like either insect damage or rot which made a hole about 6 inches across on the back panel. One of the drawers also got the same damage on the back where it touches the back panel. I didn't see any insects or anything or I wouldn't have brought it home. Overall the box is beat up pretty badly. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to save it without risking bringing termites or something into my house. The box would need a new back panel and the sliding front door is missing. I already put it in my garbage can but pick up isn't till tomorrow. I would keep it if it wasn't for the possibility of bugs. Any suggestions on a safe way to save it? I hate to throw it away but it's better then the possibility of damaging other stuff by bringing it in

Pics?

The insects are probably long gone but you could always fumigate the box inside a closed plastic garbage bag for a few days if it would make you comfortable. I've only done some minor restoration on a few boxes, usually the leather covered ones. I see wood machinist boxes in really bad shape going for $50 in local antique shops so use that as a determination of value after all you'll have to put into it.

Myself, I'd try to save it. Personally I like an older item that I've brought back. Or maybe offer it away for the cost of shipping it.. :whistle:

I for one would like to see what we are talking about. Most wooden boxes can be rebuilt if you take the time. Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Paul

Ebel440, if you decide to not try to restore the box, I would really appreciate the chance to try. My wife and I used to refurb Steamer Trunks, plus I know a really good cabinet maker that could help me. PM me if you decide to part with it, please!
Don't throw away a piece of history.

Chuck

SAVE IT!

Backs on boxes are easily replaceable, of your worried about bugs spray it down with vinegar.

No matter how bad it is, the hardware is probably irreplaceable. Wood can be had, but not the metal pieces. If you don't want to mess with it, that's understandable, but save what you can, or let someone else have a go at it.

[SUP]don't worry I saved it. Not sure what ill do with it yet [/SUP]

Since there are no pictures, I am just going off what you described. I would probably save the hardware and use the old box as a template to make a new one. Wood is wood unless you're talking 200 year old virgin wood. Seems like a fun little project.

Back