got a new(old) shaper!

awander

Active User
Registered
I just bought a circa 1900 rack-driven shaper. It is(I think) a Prentice Tool & Supply shaper built by George Juengst & Sons.

Here is a (lousy) picture:
IMG_0656.JPG

So far, I have scraped about 6 lbs of greasy dirt off of it. That grease kept it in remarkably good condition-there is a bit of rust on top of the vise, and a little bit on the shelf underneath the table-the rest is rust free.

This thing is a beast(at least for me) I think it weighs between 1200 & 1500 lbs. The vise alone is over 100 lbs.

The old shop it was taken out of still had the overhead lineshafting in working condition. I will be setting up the countershaft for this machine and driving it via flat belt.

The drive system is pretty cool-the triple pulley shown on the machine is actually 2 separate pulleys-a 2 step pulley for forward, and a single pulley for reverse(this one gets a crossed belt). Both pulleys spin freely on the shaft when the vertical lever is upright. The reverse pulley has an extension that fits inside the rim of the forward pulley-between the reverse and forward pulleys is a band with friction material on both sides. Moving the lever forward or back expands or contracts the friction band, coupling either the forward pulley(s) or the reverse pulley to the machine's input shaft. There are 2 movable stops or dogs on the ram that will move the lever to the opposite position to reverse the stroke.

Wondering if anyone has the same or a similar machine?

IMG_0656.JPG

Last edited:
Awesome Andy but you know you will need to provide a bunch more high quality photos right

Good day for shapers, I just picked up a Douglas 10.5", not nearly the beast you got though.

Shawn

As they say Andy, "bigger is better" "heavier is even better" whats the stroke I'm guessing 15 - 20 maybe nice score.

sam

I saw a rack drive shaper similar to that years ago, not remembering who made it.

Back