Got A Couple Of Questions??

Mike8623

Registered
Registered
OK guys now don't laugh but:

1. On those carbide inserts for milling tools or just carbide in general, are they supposed to be sharpened before use? Don't laugh.

2. I'm always having problems with my safety glasses or goggles and their lenses.....seems like they always get scratched or dirty, stained and you can't see through them or they don't clean well, is there a goggle or glasses out there that you can buy once and they will clean up when needed and be able to be seen through so you work??

Again don't laugh on that first one.

no

i use cheap reading glasses and throw them around...work fine for me...

Carbide inserts are ready to use when you get them. I know of no exceptions, but there might be some out there. Carbide is able to be sharpened, but only with a silicon carbide (green) wheel or using diamond or CBN wheels. Carbide inserts are usually retired after all the usable edges are chipped or worn out. They can then be recycled as scrap, ~5.00/lb value, or perhaps put to some other use.

If you go to a place like Harbor Freight, you can get safety glasses for $2.00 or less. Just throw them away when they are too difficult to see through. I still have some of the goofy old glass safety glasses. They last a long time, do not get scratched as easily, but will break if hit with enough force. I no longer wear the glass ones. I had them on for fun one day, and my GF laughed and said "You look like a nerd!" I responded "I AM a nerd!"

Carbide tipped tools yes but inserts no.

Glasses I rinse with water then soap with Dawn & rinse again. I dry them with a micro fiber towel. I need my glasses to see so I ware them all the time. Never clean glasses dry & never use paper products.

Back