Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

Yes, what could go wrong, please don't tell me this happened in a civilised country.
I did notice some kind of Chinese ideographs on the lower forklift near the end of the video.

If only they had a third, bigger fork-lift to lift the one on the ground........;)
-brino
Brino,

Somewhere on the internet is a picture of three fork lifts, one on top of each other, reaching about 30 feet in the air. With a man cage on the upper forklift extended up. The guy is in the cage using a cutting torch to cut a beam or angle, not really specific.

Lathe crash.
Set up a 2 axis lathe this past Thursday for someone to run 2000 parts in 1" OD X 1/16" wall aluminum tubes, the lengths are centerless ground then saw cut to 8.100". The lathe work is face to 8" +- .020" in length an put a small deburr chamfer on each end and they are done.

Simple work, chuck part against stop, push start button and let run. When it stops unchuck and flip 180 Degrees and repeat, this all takes about 45 seconds of spindle time, he ran 300 or so on Thursday. and turns the machine off for the night. Friday morning he turns it on and runs the first part before I get there and check it, to no ones surprise but his it lost position whilst powered down and crashed right into the first part with the tool body.

Like so. It formed the end into a flange, it did not stop until the part spun in the chuck and overloaded the Z axis servo drive, the chuck jaw marks are clearly seen, these are mild steel soft jaws. Had about 1" to go before the tool ran into the 8" 3-Jaw chuck which would have been very ugly indeed.

It scared the pants off of him, he won't do it again.
i-BFH98Gq.jpg

Note to self, check lathe carriage for 'stink bugs', the brown variety that we have here in East TN in abundance.
Was turning and threading some 1" aluminum tube to 7/8-32. (No relation to Wreck™Wreck's post above :) )
On the second skim pass on the threading operation to verify it, the half-nut did not disengage and my reflexes
were not quick enough to hit the BIG RED stop button.
There was a large nest of the bugs up in the carriage. So bad that their carcasses in the upper portion of the half-nut
assembly had prevented the slide from retracting and disengaging.
At the end of the crash the face of the 3-jaws were jammed nice and tight against the AXA holder, the piece was
mangled and the bit was buried deep into the 1" portion of stock.
Thankfully, due to dumb luck or maybe an over worked guardian angel, the chuck didn't collide hard with the compound.
It did mess up the shaft on the quick-change gears, had to dis-assemble and de-burr.
The half-nut assembly still isn't right, so I guess I'll be doing a carriage tear down.
Also I'm now threading using the inverted bit, threading away from the chuck, method.

Back