Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

So far I've picked them up 3x. I don't know how long it will take me to figure out my ATGW gloves aren't my MMA gloves.

I've mastered it. & don't want to ever do it again.

I used to power my gate from my fencer by hooking a wire from the fence to a wire I had wrapped around the gate. It was a heavy fog on that morning & I had the wires unhooked hanging. I bent over & the top of my head touched that wire. I don't know where I went but it was really dark there & it seemed an eternity before I came back. I really thought I'd died.

I don't have any stories from fast spinning blades. Probably because I go into high altar around them. I usually don't use guards or anti kickbacks because I found them to get in the way & cause safety problems themselves. So I'm paying really close attention to my body & where it is along with anyone else around. I have some very dangerous tools that have to be well under control all the time that they are powered.

I did have a day that I really shouldn't have been anywhere but bed. I was riding my bike home from work early morning & hit a deer. I hit it square on then it came down the side of my bike hitting my leg & bouncing my leg off the engine block. Nothing I could have done about that but the stupid part of this story is when I got home I started running my Sawmill & as I was loading a log I forgot to chulk the others. I have my mill at the bottom of a hill & roll the logs to it by hand down the hill. As I was putting one on the mill my wife started yelling "honny". No idea why she doesn't ever speak what the danger is but this time she didn't have to because I already knew what that sound was so I started running for the nearest escape without wasting any time to turn around & look where they was at. I had some waste piled up at the end of the mill & jumped to clear it. I almost made it. The log caught my ankle while I was in the air. I got lucky & nothing got broken that day even though I felt like both times that same leg got broken. The only damage was a bent break control & a bent loading ramp. The ramp works fine as is & I actually like the position on the brake control on my bike better now. My leg has even quit hurting.

Now that's bad day!

Stan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Safety is all in the mind.

We were moving a very heavy ex-WWII wooden bench out of my lab. I was on one end wearing flip flops, a workshop guy was on the other end with steel-capped safety boots. Going through the doorway the table slipped out of our hands and fell.
Now, you might think you know where this is going? Or maybe not!

Because I live in flipflops, I know when to jump and in which direction. I jumped. The workshop guy didn't need to jump as he had safety boots on, didn't he? Yeah, right.
So we took him to the hospital to get the crushed steel toe cap off his toes. Turns out the hospital sees so many of these crushed steel toe cap injuries they had a special hydralic shear made up to open the steel toe caps. He recovered.

Cheers
Roger

Roger, shouldnt that be "Thongs"?
Australian safety boots, same as I wear.

Had a great uncle who worked for the RR up in Wash State.....back when they carried the rail irons by man-power. Got a section of rail dropped on his safety toes.....cut the toes off clean as it mashed the steel cap flat.

My brother wears some sneakers with safety toes....but they aren't steel, but some composite. Very light and comfy he says. Of course, no tests yet for him. I'll stay with my steel toes and still try to get out of the way. I have a very bad habit though. Working QC for a while, I developed this habit of catching things (instruments, delicate parts, etc) with my feet. Hard to NOT stick them in the way sometimes.

Had a great uncle who worked for the RR up in Wash State.....back when they carried the rail irons by man-power. Got a section of rail dropped on his safety toes.....cut the toes off clean as it mashed the steel cap flat.

My brother wears some sneakers with safety toes....but they aren't steel, but some composite. Very light and comfy he says. Of course, no tests yet for him. I'll stay with my steel toes and still try to get out of the way. I have a very bad habit though. Working QC for a while, I developed this habit of catching things (instruments, delicate parts, etc) with my feet. Hard to NOT stick them in the way sometimes.
I have a bad habit of doing the same thing. It's instinctual for me to try and catch something with my feet. Has almost gotten me in trouble many times.

Although on the flip side I'm sure its hysterical for my friends when I do realize not to do it as I flail my feet in any direction other than under the object. I'm sure I look like the biggest sissy ever, but I don't care I still have all my toes!

I have the same habit if catching things with my feet. Fortunately for me it had never caused any serious injuries, but it has saved many a cell phone and even the occasional glass.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

I have the same habit if catching things with my feet. Fortunately for me it had never caused any serious injuries, but it has saved many a cell phone and even the occasional glass.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
I do that to. It has occasionally resulted in a small object that probably would survived a collision with the floor just fine zinging across the shop and ending up in the bottom of a box of scrap.

It is hard to get out of doing something like that, but then have something like a knife stick in the top of the show, and it makes you think. Luckily it was not tennis shoes. after that i'm like CS900 and look kinda funny trying to get out of the way of things, but in tight spaces that can make other tings fall.

Back