Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

David S

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Forget my previous smart ass thread and lets see if we can contribute to the OP's original intent.

I do a lot of machining with small drill bits, cutters etc on my drill / mill.

When chucking up a very small diameter drill bit in a 13 mm three jaw chuck it is very easy to get the chuck to tighten down on the bit when it is between just two jaws and not centered among the three.

Turning on the press without first doing a manual sweep can break the bit or damage the work piece.

Always rotate the chuck after tightening by hand to check clearance.

David

I've found that seating the back end of the drill bit in the back of the chuck makes centering the drill bit a little easier. Of course, if the drill is shorter than the depth of the chuck this doesn't work.

In the spirit of blunder. I have had the following experience. I needed to drill two .040 holes in a piece of aluminum, 3/16 thick. After breaking three or four drills I realized that the hand feed on my mill was not sensitive enough for me to feel when the bit was in aluminum, and i'd jam it into the material before slowing the feed. Talk about ham handed.

I am game, made a few errors over the years.
Do not leave the drawbar wrench on the drawbar and then turn the spindle on with a Bridgeport type mill. This I have done in the past, I am short in stature however and no harm was done.

Turning the spindle on when it is holding an indicator is not recommended.
The last few years I have been programming CNC lathes, rapid moves go from the current position to the start position in a hurry, I have managed to break 2 parting tools so far, I have no problem with parting operations I do seem to bugger the rapid moves however.

Last edited:
don't leave the handle for your shop press in the jack, it'll poke your eye out- i had to explain that to a new work trainee, because i almost poked my eye with the handle he left in the jack.
don't mix synthetic grease with non-synthetic grease, you'll replace bearings soon after. i repair machines that are routinely ruined by operators not knowing that.
don't ever think that you know enough to not take advise.

Yesterday I was wondering what was wrong with my drill operation, it just wasn't working right.......and then realized the bit was spinning backward!
Some years ago I had installed a reverse switch on my drill press.....don't exactly remember why I needed it.
Apparently I had managed to toggle the rocker switch when I moved the drill press around the shop last week.

-brino

When its -40* don't lock your keys into your vehicle, always have a spare key in your wallet...in case you do.

It doesn't have to be -40* F for it to be a problem locking your keys in the vehicle. I like the keypad on the driver's door to unlock 1 or all doors. Years ago I had a client lock the doors with the engine running. Next car I bought and all since have the keypad.

It doesn't have to be -40* F for it to be a problem locking your keys in the vehicle. I like the keypad on the driver's door to unlock 1 or all doors. Years ago I had a client lock the doors with the engine running. Next car I bought and all since have the keypad.

Yeah, I can tell that you have not spent much time at -40 from your comment, batteries don't work to well for your keypad unless its heated, hell doors don't even close properly, windows don't roll down, and at -40, locking your keys in is a life threating event...

Back