1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We want to wish everyone a healthy, happy New Year, full of joy and success. God bless you, and thank you for supporting The Hobby-Machinist.

Dismiss Notice

Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

Discussion in 'GOOFS & BLUNDERS YOU SHOULD AVOID!' started by David S, Jul 24, 2016.

1. MrFixIt

MrFixIt H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Redding
    State:
    California
    Mr. Stubs knows now.

2. wawoodman

wawoodman himself, himself H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Seattle
    State:
    Washington
    I was drilling a hole in a metal table, wearing sandles. A blue chip fell under the strap. I did the owie dance all over the shop, trying to get it out.

savarin and brino like this.
  3. John Hasler

John Hasler United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Elmwood
    State:
    Wisconsin
    I can go that one considerably better. I was soldering pennys to screws to make tuning capacitors for a coaxial filter. Being a college kid I wasn't wearing socks. I was, however, wearing ankle-height boots. I tinned up a penny and then dropped it in my boot. I got the boot off very, very, very quickly, but not quickly enough. I had to pry the penny off with a screwdriver.

JPMacG likes this.
  4. P T Schram

P T Schram United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Churubusco
    State:
    Indiana
    First off, I spent 19 years as an EH(S compliance engineer working in some pretty heavy industries.

Sadly, I've seen many, many people hurt badly. It only takes a fraction of a second of inattention for an accident to take place.

I wrote the Powered Industrial Truck program for a local factory and trained everyone there on the process. What I didn't know was that one of the forklifts ahd a broken seat belt that would unlatch without using the release. The guy who drove the forklift refused to have it fixed because he could jump out quicker. He drove over a dock palte he didn't knwow as there, the forklift toppled over, the seatblet released, he fell out of the seat and under the firklift. SHATTERED both legs and he was off work for two years and when he returned was terminated for cause and it was upheld becaus ehe violated a safety rule. His medical bills were paid fortunately. He can baely walk almost 20 years later.

Next was the guy who was using a 500 volt meter on an 80KV circuit at 500 hertz. The RF blew the fat part of his hand off and blew the tip of his big toe off. He healed up but he no longer works as an electrician.

At my last EH&S job the plant manager made me write an article for the plant newsletter. After the first edition of "How I Hurt Myself at home over the weekend" he decided it might not be such a great idea.

The worst/most recent injury I suffered was milling a weldment that was flimsier than I thought. It began vibrating and an harmonic was apparently setup that I didn't notice and the next thing I knew I had broken a 6" LOC 1/2" mill bit. It had been a long time since I'd had to search for my eyeglasses (yes, safety glasses. First thing on in the morning, last thing off in the evening) through blood. I fileted my face pretty good from right inboard of my left eye all the way to my chin. Fortunately, it did no damage to my magnificent moustache I've been working on since 1982!

5. jpfabricator

jpfabricator United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Henderson
    State:
    Texas
    A moustache is a terrible thing to waste.

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

6. brino

brino Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Almonte
    State:
    Ontario
    If you ever master that one, explain it in a sticky thread....I am sure we could all use it.

-brino

francist, Fitter Bill and JimDawson like this.
  7. JPMacG

JPMacG Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Ivyland
    State:
    Pennsylvania
    Breaking off a drill as the final operation on a part that I just spent 5 hours milling. I thought drilling would be the easy part. But it grabbed and broke before I could react. I'm thinking of paying to have it EDMed out.

8. wawoodman

wawoodman himself, himself H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Seattle
    State:
    Washington
    Teleporting is easy. Just watch a cat jump into a bathtub, and realize that it has water in it.

george wilson, savarin and JimDawson like this.
  9. savarin

savarin Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Townsville
    Make a simple spark eroder it works extremely well as I can attest to being such a ham fisted worker.
    The only expensive part is the power source but once you have the machine it will find heaps of uses.
    from post 19 http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/tumbler-reverse.10122/
    from post 14 http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/keyed-washer-spacer.40953/#post-351659

JPMacG and brino like this.
  10. savarin

City:
    Townsville
    I would like to know how many times do you pull swarf with bare fingers (machine not turning) before you stop doing it, ever.

Randall Marx likes this.
  11. Randall Marx

Randall Marx United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Oscoda
    State:
    Michigan
    I don't know...I seem to have not hit that magical number of times yet!

savarin and jpfabricator like this.
  12. kvt

kvt Active User Active Member

City:
    San Antonio
    State:
    Texas
    Well the Nitrile gloves do not help any more than the bare fingers. and I have not hit the magic number either,

savarin and JimDawson like this.
  13. george wilson

george wilson United States Global Moderator Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Williamsburg
    State:
    Virginia
    wawoodman: Re:Teleporting; Also watch a cat jump onto a hot stove!!

14. booker

booker United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Citrus Heights
    State:
    California
    I was removing that part on the machine in my avitar using a crane with a sling hook that was missing the safety catch. The strap jumped out of the hook as I pulled it over to let down to the floor and the part was free falling... except for my knee that it knocked out of the way. Cut me down to the bone, but never cut my Dickies dual layer pants. 27 stitches later I was in good shape.

Always make sure your equipment is maintained properly....

15. Glenn Brooks

Glenn Brooks H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Woodinville
    State:
    Washington
    IMG_1642.JPG

Goofs and blunder to avoid. OK. Here is one to definitely avoid: don't stare at the cutter or threading dial to hard when single point threading round stock.

I just finished cutting a bunch of 6" long threads in 4 pieces of 3/4" round stock. Iam using the round stock to mount an adjustable center pivot plate in a concrete foundation to support and turn a 12' LOA turntable for a 12" gauge miniature railroad. See photo above.

On my third piece of stock, I became so focused and proud to have cut two perfect sets of threads that , on the last pass on the third piece - a .003" finishing cut- I very carefully slipped the half nut in play, and moments latter, noticed the cutter wiping out the entirety of my threads - cleaned them right off the stock. Rather than engaging the half nut, I threw the power feed handle next to it, by mistake, do to being mesmerized by the threading dial turning around to the proper mark, and thinking to much about the perfect job I had just done cutting the previous threads in the first two pieces of stock. So whilst I was reflecting on my proficiency and genius as a machinist, I cut all the threads off my third piece.

Fortunately the other end of the stick came out OK ( see top end of the round stock in the photo. The mistaken ends will be buried feet first in cement - where they belong.)

brino, rdean, tweinke and 1 other person like this.
  16. Tony Wells

Tony Wells United States Vice President Staff Member Administrator

City:
    Tyler
    State:
    Texas
    Glenn, those are design features to make sure the piece is oriented correctly in the concrete. Timing marks, if you will.

17. tq60

tq60 United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    madera
    State:
    California
    No they are gripping rings to insure solid footing in the concrete.

Just modify your drawing to indicate it is designed that way then it becomes perfect...

That is how the feds do it...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

MrFixIt likes this.
  18. Superburban

Superburban United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Grand Junction
    State:
    Colorado
    Not a great pic, but it shows how not to lift a mill. We were removing it from the trailer. After I pulled the trailer forward, the mill proved to me how the center of gravity really works.

0312141645-00.jpg

19. jpfabricator

jpfabricator United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Henderson
    State:
    Texas
    How to make a vertical mill a horizontal mill.

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

brino and Groundhog like this.
  20. kingmt01

kingmt01 United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Huntington
    State:
    West Virginia
    So far I've picked them up 3x. I don't know how long it will take me to figure out my ATGW gloves aren't my MMA gloves.

I've mastered it. & don't want to ever do it again.

I used to power my gate from my fencer by hooking a wire from the fence to a wire I had wrapped around the gate. It was a heavy fog on that morning & I had the wires unhooked hanging. I bent over & the top of my head touched that wire. I don't know where I went but it was really dark there & it seemed an eternity before I came back. I really thought I'd died.

I don't have any stories from fast spinning blades. Probably because I go into high altar around them. I usually don't use guards or anti kickbacks because I found them to get in the way & cause safety problems themselves. So I'm paying really close attention to my body & where it is along with anyone else around. I have some very dangerous tools that have to be well under control all the time that they are powered.

I did have a day that I really shouldn't have been anywhere but bed. I was riding my bike home from work early morning & hit a deer. I hit it square on then it came down the side of my bike hitting my leg & bouncing my leg off the engine block. Nothing I could have done about that but the stupid part of this story is when I got home I started running my Sawmill & as I was loading a log I forgot to chulk the others. I have my mill at the bottom of a hill & roll the logs to it by hand down the hill. As I was putting one on the mill my wife started yelling "honny". No idea why she doesn't ever speak what the danger is but this time she didn't have to because I already knew what that sound was so I started running for the nearest escape without wasting any time to turn around & look where they was at. I had some waste piled up at the end of the mill & jumped to clear it. I almost made it. The log caught my ankle while I was in the air. I got lucky & nothing got broken that day even though I felt like both times that same leg got broken. The only damage was a bent break control & a bent loading ramp. The ramp works fine as is & I actually like the position on the brake control on my bike better now. My leg has even quit hurting.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  21. sgisler

sgisler United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Plano
    State:
    Texas
    Now that's bad day!

Stan
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. rcaffin

rcaffin Australia Iron Registered Member

City:
    Sydney
    State:
    Outside US / Canada
    Safety is all in the mind.

We were moving a very heavy ex-WWII wooden bench out of my lab. I was on one end wearing flip flops, a workshop guy was on the other end with steel-capped safety boots. Going through the doorway the table slipped out of our hands and fell.
    Now, you might think you know where this is going? Or maybe not!

Because I live in flipflops, I know when to jump and in which direction. I jumped. The workshop guy didn't need to jump as he had safety boots on, didn't he? Yeah, right.
    So we took him to the hospital to get the crushed steel toe cap off his toes. Turns out the hospital sees so many of these crushed steel toe cap injuries they had a special hydralic shear made up to open the steel toe caps. He recovered.

Cheers
    Roger

23. brino

brino Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Almonte
    State:
    Ontario
    ...but can he still count to twenty? ;)
    -brino

24. savarin

City:
    Townsville
    Roger, shouldnt that be "Thongs"?
    Australian safety boots, same as I wear.

25. Tony Wells

Tony Wells United States Vice President Staff Member Administrator

City:
    Tyler
    State:
    Texas
    Had a great uncle who worked for the RR up in Wash State.....back when they carried the rail irons by man-power. Got a section of rail dropped on his safety toes.....cut the toes off clean as it mashed the steel cap flat.

My brother wears some sneakers with safety toes....but they aren't steel, but some composite. Very light and comfy he says. Of course, no tests yet for him. I'll stay with my steel toes and still try to get out of the way. I have a very bad habit though. Working QC for a while, I developed this habit of catching things (instruments, delicate parts, etc) with my feet. Hard to NOT stick them in the way sometimes.

26. cs900

cs900 United States maker of chips Active Member

City:
    binghamton
    State:
    New York
    I have a bad habit of doing the same thing. It's instinctual for me to try and catch something with my feet. Has almost gotten me in trouble many times.

Although on the flip side I'm sure its hysterical for my friends when I do realize not to do it as I flail my feet in any direction other than under the object. I'm sure I look like the biggest sissy ever, but I don't care I still have all my toes!

27. atunguyd

atunguyd South Africa Active User Active Member

City:
    Durban
    I have the same habit if catching things with my feet. Fortunately for me it had never caused any serious injuries, but it has saved many a cell phone and even the occasional glass.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

28. John Hasler

John Hasler United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Elmwood
    State:
    Wisconsin
    I do that to. It has occasionally resulted in a small object that probably would survived a collision with the floor just fine zinging across the shop and ending up in the bottom of a box of scrap.

29. kvt

kvt Active User Active Member

City:
    San Antonio
    State:
    Texas
    It is hard to get out of doing something like that, but then have something like a knife stick in the top of the show, and it makes you think. Luckily it was not tennis shoes. after that i'm like CS900 and look kinda funny trying to get out of the way of things, but in tight spaces that can make other tings fall.

30. aametalmaster

aametalmaster H-M Supporter - Premium Content Staff Member H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Salem
    State:
    Ohio
    Never ever use fingers to remove chips. Had this happen to my chip brush. Glad it wasn't my hand..Bob

Attached Files:

MrFixIt and JimDawson like this.