Good uses for old brake rotors?

I've made a traveling steady for my lath from a brake rotor , non vented kind.

Great idea! I don't recall ever seeing a non-vented rotor.

Take a look at post # 20. You'll see both vented and non-vented.

Great idea! I don't recall ever seeing a non-vented rotor.

ahh it's them smaller european cars , even my strait 6, 2 liter 5 series only has solid rotors and thats quite a big car (for UK).

:)

I'm taking stupoty's suggestion and grabbed a brake rotor from work to make a steady rest , at least I hope . I have some non-vented to try a follow-rest , they came off a Subaru ,
stupoty do you have a thread on your steady rest build or some pictures ? Thanks

I'm taking stupoty's suggestion and grabbed a brake rotor from work to make a steady rest , at least I hope . I have some non-vented to try a follow-rest , they came off a Subaru ,
stupoty do you have a thread on your steady rest build or some pictures ? Thanks

I just went to take a photo and cut my finger pulling chips out of chip tray, will get back to it in a min. owch

My thinking is making tight fit holes for the two pairs of forks for the hinges, insert tubings into those for alignment and bolt up. After all that, then take out and cut two places for the opening so everything lines up good and tight.

If I can get a used stainless rotor, it would be great.

Making a follower rest sounds like a very good idea. I didn't think of this. I drew a scaled picture based on an Ebay photo and laid it on a scrap rotor. It doesn't fit, of course, but it is close. Maybe a little bit of fitting and welding, and you're there! I think I might try this out. There is one thing I need a follower rest for, which is to make a new cross feed screw for my old worn out one. But, my machinist friend says this is beyond my skill level and I should just buy the kit on Ebay. Maybe it will be a long term project.

Back