Good Steel Pin Punches...which?

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm looking for good steel pin punches that won't bend easily.
My current collection includes Starrett, Mayhew, and vintage Craftsman.

I've been looking at Hazet and Geodore, both German made. (I own a few of each of these tool brands, not punches). The quality of the steel is outstanding, so I figure their punches are probably equally as good.
I've read good things about Mayhew, Wilde and Snap On.

I understand that a pin punch will not withstand repeated hard blows forever, but they shouldn't mushroom or bend easily.

Mayhew has 2 lines "pro" and "select". I believe the ones sold at Home Cheapo are the lesser quality "select" versions, they are much better than the junk from Harbor Freight I still break anything smaller than 1/8" way too often. I recently purchased a replacement from McMaster-Carr (didn't know the brand when I ordered it) and it turned out to be Mayhew but the part number was different and the fit and finish is nicer, I'm guessing it's the "pro" version. I haven't had a chance to beak it yet :)

I'm looking for good steel pin punches that won't bend easily.

I understand that a pin punch will not withstand repeated hard blows forever, but they shouldn't mushroom or bend easily.

I don't know, I have a different view on pin punches. They should be soft enough not to fracture in use and if they are soft enough, they will bend and mushroom when used aggressively. I've always liked Starrett punches myself, and use them most often. I tend to use them as intended though, and do not hammer way if a pin refuses to budge. Most of the time, if a pin is stuck then some penetrating oil and heat works better than banging away with a punch and hammer.

Do let us know how the German-made stuff works.

Right now, all or most of the Hazet pin punches are sold out on KCtoolCo.com , which may be a good sign.
I'm going to buy one of each: Mayhew, Hazet, Proto and Geodore., each a different size, just to see and use.

Look at the ones that Brownell sells. They are of good quality.
Pierre

Mine is the Starrett set that comes in a round, fitted, wooden case. Have the matching nail set kit, too.

Look at the ones that Brownell sells. They are of good quality.
Pierre
The ones I got from Brownell decades ago are made by Mayhew, not particularly pretty like the Starrett ones, but with great strength and good resistance to mushrooming, bending and breaking.

Back