Good place to get hands on experience?

INeedHelp

Registered
Registered
I'm looking to get into machining, but being a broke high school student I really don't have much to go off of in terms of tools available for my use. I am able to use some basic hand tools and saws at my school, but I'm really looking for somewhere that could provide me a few more tools like lathes or mills. As far as I know, my local Makerspace (Memphis) doesn't have much to offer other than what I have available at school. I'm not sure if I should just save for a while so I could afford a small mini-mill or lathe, or if there is a local shop that would allow me to come in and apprentice during the summer. I have tried to contact a few shops near me, but none have gotten back with an answer yes or no. Any suggestions on what I should do?

You could see if your high school will let take classes at a community college. It looks like Southwest Community College has both Machining and and Industrial Technology courses, which would allow you access to both Machining and Metal Mfg technologies such as sheet metal, foundry and welding.

Last edited:
I don't know what may be available in your area, but look for a local votech (vocational technical school). They usually have machining classes, either as part of high school curriculum or adult education. My son learned machining at local votech as part of his high school program. I took some adult education welding classes there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back