Good General Purpose Mount For Test Indicator?

Cavediver

Registered
Registered
I'm new to metal working and am slowly gathering tools for use with my HF 7x10 lathe.

I've picked up a test indicator and a dial indicator., and now I need a good general-purpose base / mount. I've looked at a small Noga as well as the cheaper imports and am now at a standstill...

Am I looking at the correct type of mount (again, general purpose use), or is there something else I should consider?
Am I looking at the right size mount, or should I be looking at something larger?
Is the Noga really worth the extra $$$, or will the imports work well enough for hobby use?

I guess that's it for the moment. I am constantly reading and researching this stuff, but there are soooo many sources of information that I am getting overloaded.

Thanks!

Yes the Noga is well worth the coast. That being said imports do fine for hobby. Most mag base holders will grab the dove tail on a DTI and will also clamp to the barrel of a DI.

Looks like the Noga gets the nod. :D
How about the size selection? Is the small version good for mini-lathe work, or should I pick up the mid-sized version first?

(I'm under no illusion here: I know I'll wind up with more than one, I just need to spread the financial pain out a little bit :) )

Enco has them on sale right now, and there's a free shipping code floating around. I'm going to wait out the week and see if they offer an additional x% off code at some point, but will likely hit the purchase button by Friday if I don't see one.

Wasn't aware of the Nogas, just took a look, man they are pricey! So I've purchased a couple off of EBAY that look just like the Noga for much less, what is the difference?

Wasn't aware of the Nogas, just took a look, man they are pricey! So I've purchased a couple off of EBAY that look just like the Noga for much less, what is the difference?

I am guessing quality. Never had a problem with a Noga, maybe if yours last 20 plus years you will be the smart one, but somehow I doubt it. My rule on cheap tooling is .... if it has moving parts that need to fit well to perform well, spend the money on the good stuff or be prepared for a failure. Its kind of like buying stuff at Harbor Freight, if you don't mind the occasional failure it works out in the end. If you need it to work every day, every time, get the good stuff.

cheers
michael

I've got the small Noga:
Type: Magnetic Base w/Arm, Holder & Attachment
Fine Adjustment (Yes/No): Yes
Arm Style: Articulated
Magnetic Pull (Pounds): 70.000
Overall Length (Decimal Inch): 4.2500
Location of Adjustor: Top
Manufacturer Part Number: NF61003

I am not too happy with the magnet. It is weak and easily knocked off. I would get the larger one if I needed a good magnetic base. They are a quality product.

South bend verses harbor freight lathe.:high 5:

Back