Good deal on Herbert junior surface grinder?

Lander

Registered
Registered
So I came across this surface grinder online. It is 1.30h drive one way away. It is 230 kg = 500 pounds and got a car where it will fit length wise and can carry the weight. The issue is getting it in the car and unloading it. I can get the knee, the saddle, the mag chuck and motor off but I’m scared the column still weighs too much that I can’t load it with 2 persons. I got no engine hoist or any lifting gear. Last year I did manage to disassemble and transport my mill same model as grizzly G0761 which weighs around 714 pounds.

I just got done restoring my lathe and mill so I just started off with some projects but I got no experience prior to this and have not manufactured much because the lathe needed more work than I expected. I don’t think I’m at the level I need the grinder right now but I’m afraid when I will be in a year I will not find a opportunity like this. I only saw 2 small grinder on the market like these last year and they all went for much more + were 3 fase.

He only asks 350 euro = 372 dollar and is single fase so no frequency drive cost. It seems really cheap and looks in decent shape. Do you guys think it is possible to load? I'm on the fence because of the possibility that i can't lift it and it is far away.

Attachments

• herbert1.png
    herbert1.png
    679.9 KB · Views: 34
  • herbert2.png
    herbert2.png
    652.3 KB · Views: 37
  • herbert3.png
    herbert3.png
    638.9 KB · Views: 34
good chance you can move it, if you can tilt it in. bring some plywood to be able to put it on so you can slide it.. make sure you round the edges with sand paper so it will slide ..bring some blocks of wood for cribbing to support it, and to lift it .. a car jack can help lift it a little at a time, and cribbing hold it, while you put the next level in if it proves to be too heavy .. I would go and see it.

As @woodchucker said cribbing / blocking helps a lot. Cast iron weighs about 442 lb per cubic ft. If you can set up a ramp to slide on it’s side into the car it should be doable after you break it down into moveable pieces. You could gradually add blocks under the ramp using a pinch bar and fulcrum to lessen the angle, (think baby steps, one side at a time with multiple blocks.

At that price I would consider renting a pickup truck or something similar for a day. It will make loading, transporting, and unloading magnitudes easier. While the machine may only weigh 500 lbs. or so it looks like it would need some serious disassembly to get it into a car. Also keep in mind it's probably covered with old coolant and grinding dust. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't care to have that stuff coating the seats and interior of my car.

The problem isn't the space in the car but how I get it in the car. I could rent a trailer but unloading it is the same problem as for the car. The renting companies in my country don’t rent out engine hoists. There isn’t a oil or coolant tank so leaking isn’t going to be a problem. The car will get dirty but blankets usual keeps the grime out.

I bit the bullet and I’m going to pick it up tomorrow! I have a thick laminated desktop that may do the trick you guys proposed. Wish me luck.

Back