Golf cart Starter / Generator

Made up a mount for the start/generator and installed the 12 inch pulley.

IMG_1126.jpg

Bad news is the unit is no good. Im suspecting a short in the armature, (I'm no expert on starters). It will spin over on its own but no power, and a dead spot it won't start from. One of the segments on the comutater was burnt, turned it on the lathe, regroved it and the section burnt again.
Now we're on the hunt for another one to see if it has the power.

IMG_1126.jpg

Took 4 old units from the golf course to make a working unit, but it spins the engine over easily. Way faster than I'd ever crank it by hand. Will have to see if the charge circuit is working.

IMG_1127.jpg

Greg

IMG_1127.jpg

Hi, Greg. Interested to read your experiences of hooking up a dynostart to a stationary engine. I'm about to embark on a similar exercise, though in my case fitting the same unit to a 1960 British 650cc single-cylinder motorcycle. Like you, I've had difficulty in finding out the 'working' RPM which you found was 8,000. I also fretted about the likely cranking speed, but of course that will be what it will be, given a) the gearing to achieve 8000 rpm charging and b) the torque the unit provides. I'd like to know how the setup's worked in practice and what you estimate the cranking speed to be. I've got the luxury of a half-decompressor device (for easy starting normally), plus a full decompressor lever (for engine kill normally), which either/together linked with a large flywheel mass should enable so momentum to be built up. I'd be grateful to hear how it's all panned out in (snowy?) Ontario.

Hate to admit it but the engine has been sitting for I guess two years with no progress. I plan on using it in a fire wood processor, that Im working on when I get the time. Will hopefully have made some progress by the end of winter, Good luck.

Greg

Hate to admit it but the engine has been sitting for I guess two years with no progress. I plan on using it in a fire wood processor, that Im working on when I get the time. Will hopefully have made some progress by the end of winter, Good luck.

Greg
And the same to you! Probably both get the things going at the same time... I'll let you know how I get on if I finish first.

Just a thought, but if you are going to be running a belt drive to the chain bar anyhow, why not put a GM style alternator on it and fine a proper starter for the motor? Given that it's a hand start model and runs from a magneto, very little RPM is required to bring the motor to life as opposed to a non-magneto small engine that requires a bit more speed to turn over. The other thing that would enable you to do is run some LED type flood lights attached directly to the processor on masts for work lights.

I think the issue you might run into with such a small starter on that engine is unless you have some sort of belt tension release ( you mentioned an electric clutch which wold mean you would be fighting the belts as well as the motor when starting it) the belt load may be a bit too much for the starter motor to overcome.

The older Wisconsin's like this didn't have a ring gear or that would be my preferred method Keith. Thought about mounting a flex plate on the output shaft but then keeping the starter aligned would probably be a pain. The clutches draw 3.5 amp but only when the saw is engaged so I think it will keep up. as for lights, the days are long enough.

Greg

Back