Going To Buy A New Lathe And Mill. Need Your Thoughts And Opinions.

Good choice. Can't wait to see them sitting in your shop.

Thanks Randy. I can't wait either. If work isn't crazy today, I should have the order completed. Of course the obligatory photos will come.

At that price level I would recommend considering the PM940M-PDF over the 932 and gain another 4" in Y travel. Hugh difference when you throw a vise on the machine, and if you add a DRO scale to the back, having that extra 4" for a few dollars more is significant. My mill has 8.5" of Y travel, and I just replaced it with a longer travel machine as this was the most limiting factor. You may also consider going 3 phase and put an inexpensive VFD (like $150), as it fills in the speed range and you do not have the issue of the motor capacitors going.

Just my
1864-2-cent-coin-reverse.jpg

At that price level I would recommend considering the PM940M-PDF over the 932 and gain another 4" in Y travel. Hugh difference when you throw a vise on the machine, and if you add a DRO scale to the back, having that extra 4" for a few dollars more is significant. My mill has 8.5" of Y travel, and I just replaced it with a longer travel machine as this was the most limiting factor. You may also consider going 3 phase and put an inexpensive VFD (like $150), as it fills in the speed range and you do not have the issue of the motor capacitors going.

This was an excellent suggestion. I've run Matt around crazy with emails, but now I've got a PM-940M-PDF on the list. I should be placing the order this afternoon.

Then the dreadful wait begins.

Back