Going To Buy A Lathe... Thoughts, Input Solicited By Inexperienced Dufus

markamerica

Registered
Registered
Good evening!

I am finally in a position that I'm going to be able to finish enclosing the workshop section of my barn, and actually begin doing the things I enjoy in my sparse time off from the paying job. I'm new to the fora here, so please bear with me if I come across as insufferably dense. There are two piece of equipment I wish to obtain for my workshop: A (vertical)milling machine and a lathe. On my small farm, there are so many things I could finally fix/build/concoct if I had those two machines, it's ridiculous. I also like building custom things, and tinker and experiment with things. I was a mechanic for the 7 years of my Army career, and have worked on everything from M151A2 "jeeps" to M992 Ammo Carriers, and also work for 13 years after my Army stint on pneumo-hydraulic aircraft arrestment systems used by the Air Force. I have done some minor electrical work, lots of welding(built the barn, for instance,) and have messed with electronics, specifically 70s-80s audio amplifiers and speakers from the same era. I have an adult daughter who, consequent to a bad car wreck just after graduation from high school, has impulse control issues and doesn't do well in social situations. One of my objects with all of this is to be able to teach her to focus again, and to do so absent social stress. She helped with the welding when we built the barn(a teenager then,) and I find she does better when you can unplug from people and focus on a task. I'm now a computer nerd, specializing primarily in databases, networks, and virtualization, and we have a small thoroughbred farm here in Central Texas. Yes, I am the most un-interesting man in the world.

Okay, now that I have all that info out of the way, I've made a list of criteria for my "lathe-to-be," and I'm focused on the lathe now because once I finish enclosing the workshop, it's going to be somewhat harder(read impossible) to move a lathe into the space if it's of any significant size.

Things I need a lathe to have/do:
chase threads of metric and inch varieties.
at least 48" between centers
12" diameter max is fine
a taper attachment
spindle bore of at least 2 inches
must have no greater power requirement than 230 3 phase(and this will require a rotary phase converter)
I don't need super-duper accuracy for most things I do, though accuracy is always nice.
I don't need a DRO, but again, that's always a spiffy thing.
I don't need latest-greatest-most-complex if old and simple work fine.
I do have a budget that tells me that in order to get my list of criteria fulfilled, minimally, I need to be looking in the secondary and tertiary market(s.) I can't afford a new machine that fulfills that list above.

To that end, I've looked up and down craigslist until I could broadcast chunks. I've looked as far east as Mobile Alabama, as far North as Wichita, and as far West as New Mexico. I find a lot of ancient machines, some in very good shape and apparent condition, but most of them are lacking in the threading department, and most of them weigh 6000 lbs or more. Now, I have no objection to a big old lathe. I'm fine with it. There was a Monarch in Dallas that I almost decided to ignore my metric thread requirement because it was a nice looking lathe. Sadly, but not surprisingly, it was gone already.

Along comes another lathe. It's a big machine, unknown brand, dataplate and nameplate missing, but after spending hours and hours perusing google images, I think I know the manufacturer, and I think I had guessed right on its approximate age.

Anyway, turns out, that lathe has some issues. I'm going to inspect it looking for mechanical issues, because I think all of the problems are likely to be electrical. I'm not too proud to buy a broken lathe if there's some real expectation of fixing it, but if the gearbox is a bucket of shavings and fragments, I have no interest whatsoever. Electrical things can be fixed. I can figure out most things, and I know there's a wealth of experience in the world who will gladly provide advice. I'm here in part because I've read postings here in the past looking for solutions to particular problems.

Anyway, I'd like to start out with this project. Obviously, there are downsides. If I can find a manual for this specific model(which is still unknown at this moment) I could probably fix it if it's only an electrical issue. If there are mechanical issues, I'm outta there because getting parts will be impossible.

On the other hand, I could just hang out and wait on a better lathe at a price I can afford. Not too long though, because placing a lathe larger than a modern 13x40 in the workshop will be tough once I button up that last wall.

Ideas, suggestions, and general interaction is welcome.

Thanks!

Mark

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Mark!

That's a tall order. You have been doing exactly what I would suggest, the only thing I could add is to expand your search radius. You are probably looking for a 15 x 50 machine. They exist, but are less common that a 13/14 x 40

I agree that electrical is a non-issue in choosing a machine, if the mechanics are good then electrical issues would not deter me.

My name is Mark also.
That being said an old cheap lathe with a 2" through spindle bore will be difficult to find at best, I once owned a 1930's 24" X 80" lathe that wasn't 2" through the spindle.
You are in Texas so look for a small Oilfield lathe as these normally have very large through spindle bores.

Metric threading, long bed, unless you can spring for a Mori, your choices are very few unless you are willing to consider Chinese made. Most of the long bed American stuff is old and low speed. Matt at PM has a 1660 from China that looks pretty good on paper. I think one or two guys here have the 1660 or 1640 from Matt. If I were to go the China route, I would talk to Matt, he is well respected and a straight shooter.

michael

Welcome aboard Mark!

That's a tall order. You have been doing exactly what I would suggest, the only thing I could add is to expand your search radius.

Thanks Jim! I made my search radius as large as I dare. I figure if I haul all day, load up and turn around, I can make about an 18 hour trip of it for economy's sake, so I've tried to restrict my search radius to about 8 hours out, though I'd probably stretch it for the right lathe. It's not that I don't look wider, but that it has to be a pretty sure bet for a good price to go longer. I've got the F350 and a 20k lb utility trailer for the trip if I can find the right lathe. I looked at a Clausing Colchester that was 15 x 54 if I remember right, only shortfall being the fellow seemed to be darned proud of it, and didn't have the taper adapter either. I'm not scared of fixing things within my capabilities. Electrical issues are really just wires, switches, relays, transformers, and motors. For me, the hardest part on many machines is coming up with the wiring diagrams and specs on components. The lathe I'm looking at now seems to have issues, may be missing some electicral parts, not sure, going to go make an inspection run this weekend. Some of these lathes are almost impossible to find good documentation. The older, and the more obscure, the harder it gets. The particular lathe I'm looking at, I can't even find a picture of the exact same lathe. Similar, maybe a year older or two, or a year newer or two... I'll post more about that this weekend.

Welcome to the board, MarkAmerica, and THANK YOU for your service!

Well, first off... do you think you have the knowledge to adequately evaluate a used machine? If not, do you know someone with that knowledge that can go with you to check machines out? If not then start saving up for a new machine. I've been in your place and have helped friends of friends out that really didn't know enough to not get easily screwed buying a used machine. So do you really need a machine with 2" bore and 48" between centers? I doubt you'll find an old used lathe with 2" bore that isn't huge and really used. I really think you should consider going new. Check out the offerings from Matt @ Quality Machine Tools or Grizzly.

My name is Mark also.
That being said an old cheap lathe with a 2" through spindle bore will be difficult to find at best, I once owned a 1930's 24" X 80" lathe that wasn't 2" through the spindle.
You are in Texas so look for a small Oilfield lathe as these normally have very large through spindle bores.
Thanks Wreck! I know I've decided to make my life harder with that spec. It's not easy, for sure. We'll see. I've been told that precise thing about oilfield lathes.

Metric threading, long bed, unless you can spring for a Mori, your choices are very few unless you are willing to consider Chinese made. Most of the long bed American stuff is old and low speed. Matt at PM has a 1660 from China that looks pretty good on paper. I think one or two guys here have the 1660 or 1640 from Matt. If I were to go the China route, I would talk to Matt, he is well respected and a straight shooter.

michael
PM? Not sure what that is. Is that a different section here, or elsewhere offsite? I'll look. Like I said, I'm on a budget.

Thanks, and yes, I've looked at most of those. Main deficiency most of them have is the lack of metric threading. Of course, some of them may not have that problem, but not being all that familiar with some of the makes and models, when the seller doesn't give you much info, or even tight enough pics to figure it out for yourself, it makes it hard. That's one of the biggest frustrations I encounter looking both at Ebay and Craigslist: People list items and don't tell you important information that would help you choose, decide, or formulate an appropriate offer. That's something I spend more time chasing. If I don't know the particular equipment, and the seller doesn't list it, and I can't find the specs, I move on if I don't get a fairly time response.. Still, I look at both every day as I slurp my morning coffee.

Back