Go755 Help Needed

I was running a 3/8" carbide rougher, full pass width at a DOC of 1"

I would assume you are talking aluminum, but still...

:eek 2::eek 2:

...must have been a slow feed rate (<8 ipm or you were going to stall your motor).

Er...no...it was 1" thick 1018 steel. :oops:

I believe that the only reason I had that issue with the splines was that the bearing carrier (female splined component) that I received with the pulley kit only had half the engagement surface on the spindle splines compared to the original. If I'd had the original piece, the mill would have been fine. Spindle splines showed no damage.

Granted, I would not suggest a novice, or anyone actually, attempt what I did but it went surprisingly well with no bogging down of the motor (better ratios with the pulley kit over the stock config), and I had everything as rigid as absolutely possible with lots and lots of cutting fluid. Smoking, light blue chips flying everywhere (including on my arms...ouch). And yes, very slow feed rate. Definitely pushed the PM-25 past it's design limits, but he held up. I'll never abuse him like that again. :)

OP: sorry for the hi-jack.

I'm not familiar with this particular machine, but spline wear shouldn't affect vertical slack. IMO, you have a bearing or adjustment issue. There's a possibility that the bearings were never fully seated when it was assembled and the crash loosened everything up.

So.... here is an update if anyone is interested.

I pulled the top off of the head and found that, as Toolman mentioned, a bearing was not fully seated, which was causing a mis-alignment on the high/low gearshaft. One of the bearing seats molded into the bottom of the main head casting was cracked off, allowing the bearing to easily slip in or out. There were no chips/chunks in the gearbox, so my guess is that it was built with that defect.

I was on the phone a few times with Grizzly, and the machine is still under warranty, and they are looking into sending me a new head, or machine.

I'll post another update soon.

-Kory

Sent from my SGH-T599N using Tapatalk

So.... here is an update if anyone is interested.

I pulled the top off of the head and found that, as Toolman mentioned, a bearing was not fully seated, which was causing a mis-alignment on the high/low gearshaft. One of the bearing seats molded into the bottom of the main head casting was cracked off, allowing the bearing to easily slip in or out. There were no chips/chunks in the gearbox, so my guess is that it was built with that defect.

I was on the phone a few times with Grizzly, and the machine is still under warranty, and they are looking into sending me a new head, or machine.

I'll post another update soon.

-Kory

Would love too see some pics of the gear box w/defect?

Buck

Would love too see some pics of the gear box w/defect?

Buck
Unfortunately I didn't take any pics. However, if Grizzly will not replace the broken part/head I will have to figure out a way to repair it myself. I will at that time post some pics and also a few pics of my repair process.

-Kory

Update- Grizzly replaced the entire head and gave me another year warranty. It took them a while, but were incredibly courteous through the entire process.

I had the time to install the new head, and it sounds much quieter than the previous unit. I haven't had time to perform the break in or change the oil but should have time to get to it this week. I'll post again once I have milled something with an update. Hopefully the issue has been resolved.

-Kory

Back