Gloves in the shop

:cupcake:
It's not just the metal work shop... We had a lawyer who got his tie caught in the office paper shredder. It pulled his head almost to the machine before someone managed to help him.

I guess some people are just accident prone.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

OK but who put his tie in there.:cupcake:

I normally wear the nitrile gloves, when working on things, and any where oil, alcohol, acetone or anything else that is going to be used, Have very bad skin condition, where my fingers split open, and I have to do something if I want to play around with things. One of my doctors thinks it form spending to much time with my hands in contact with chemicals etc. So now I do wear gloves all the time.
I do not wear any rings, watches, etc and always have on the glasses. my wife only lets me wear the rings etc when we go out, as about 30 years ago, I was working on a car, and somehow my wedding ring wound up welded to the metal on the car, and I had one nasty burn on my finger, After that it was like she would rather me have all my fingers than wear a ring when we both know we love each other. Watch had a big blob of weld get in the glove and behind the watch band one time, Left a nice scar and now I rarely were a watch, and never when working on things. Lost my class ring in the fender of a kids car working on it when I was in School. I guess you might say I'm one of those accident prone people, but have all my fingers and toes just a few scars on them.

Shop I worked at once had (fake) leather gloves with the fingers removed we were supposed to wear. Theory being you're less likely to get caught up in a moving mill or part that way. It was voluntary, and I don't remember anyone in my department wearing them.

My buddy said in another shop once, a guy was running the bandsaw with latex gloves on and got a snag on the running blade. Requested my friend's help at the first aid station.

One tiny hole in the glove, yet when they removed the glove the guy's finger was only hanging on by a couple of millimeters of skin.

I was taught by a master mechanic back when I was working my way thru college that the reason the top center drawer on the tool box had a lock was to put all your stuff in it when you came to work.
And to keep a scrub brush in the bottom for clean up when your done.

Still do - still have all 10 fingers & toes

i almost never wear gloves in the shop unless it's for welding. i'm a feel type worker.
when i use latex or nitrile,
it's only when the job is exceedingly messy- but never while operating machinery with rotating blades or chucks

It was 18F in the garage the other night - if I didn't wear gloves (with the tips cut off) I wouldn't last long before I lost feeling in my hands. That would be way more dangerous in handling tools than wearing gloves. Now my feet, they can go completely numb as long as I don't fall over :)

necessity is the mother of invention :) I keep a hair dryer handy for when I need to warm up my dial indicator and a heat gun/ blow torch for when I need to get things unscrewed - like that chuck back plate I made!

call me a sissy,
but if it gets below 45* in the shop, i'm grabbing the propane heater:dread:

Back