• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Gits Oilers oil

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Hukshawn

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
What kind of oils are you lubing your milling machines with? My b-port clone has gits Oilers up top, and a one shot oiler system down low.
I just picked me up a big jug of way oil, I assume that can be used in the one shot down low, but what are you putting in the heads?

Doubleeboy

Active User
My Jet JTM-1 BP clone uses DTE light in the head, not gits though they are flip top oil fittings. One squirt of oil makes a mess of spindle for weeks. This lubes spindle movement in vertical direction it does not lube the bearings which are sealed. You don't want to use way oil here, light oil only. My knee and saddle are hit with the one shot, I use Vactra there medium weight.

Hukshawn

I just spoke to an oil rep and she did some research and actually said air tool oil is basically the same thing as spindle oil. Just have to research to make sure the air tool oil won't harm the metals in older machines, ie, brass, aluminum, copper, bronze, etc
There's lots of air tool oil around! And it can be used in all the oil cups on the head.

4gsr

HM Chief Foreman
Staff member
Good old ISO 46 hydraulic oil works the best for spindle oil. It has all of the necessary key ingredients that air tool oil may not have for precision bearings. Plus air tool oil is too light for spindle bearings in my opinion. You can also get a two gallon jug of it from just about any auto supply or Tractor Supply, too.

Hukshawn

I searched the local tractor supply website for 46 and they don't have it.
I just emailed my oil supplier that I got the way oil from. She doesn't have the 46 but has come up with suitable options. Exploring those now.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Bob Korves

Mix ISO32 and ISO64 half and half, or whatever ratio you desire. That is what I do...

Hukshawn

Actually the tractor store has 46. On sale too. Which is good cause I could only get 5 gal.

4gsr

HM Chief Foreman
Staff member
Actually the tractor store has 46. On sale too. Which is good cause I could only get 5 gal.
I notice in my MSC flyer that came in the mail today, they have Mobile DTE in a 1 gallon jug. But before I would get the DTE look for the Mobile Velocite grades of oil, which I'm pretty sure they carry. In fact, go to Amazon, they carry them too!

Hukshawn

Thanks Ken. The Mobil can't be delivered to Canada, the second you posted will, but I bought a jug of iso 46 today, as per your suggestion.

4gsr

HM Chief Foreman
Staff member
That is what I've been using for the last 20 years in my shop along with Chevron way oil! I'm already half way thru a 5-gallon bucket of way oil, too! Just used the last of a 5 gallon bucket of ISO 46 that I used to fill two headstocks with and oil cans. After this, I'll buy 1 or 2 gallon jugs of it to use. Ken

Hukshawn

Well that's a relief. Finally have the right oils. If it's taken you 20 years to use half of a 5 gal pail, and you work on machines so much more often than me, then my son will pass this oil to his son! Think of the miniscule money savings!!

5 7