Gibs on a 1956 south bend mill

richl

Active User
Registered
A couple of questions, I have this mill tore down to the saddle, and that's coming off tomorrow too. I'm going a bit slow, I'm a tad bit timid on what I am finding and watching the h and m videos on Bridgeport restoration on utube.
The original specs said way oil or grease could be used, previous owners choose grease, all pathways were caked shut with hardened grease, I am going to use way oil.

Pics are wonderful, so here are a couple. This is the back side of the gib , it sits against the table and the saddle.
20171129_023518.jpg
20171129_024314.jpg
20171129_023550.jpg
I hope in those 3 pics you can see the flow of the oil from the zerk fitting, to the bottom of the table ways and thru the hole to the gib and than to the side of the table ways
Question:
Installing the the gib, do I install the gib soaked in way oil, or is the path thru the above holes enough.

Next question, in the h and m videos, they show how to adjust the tension on the half nut to pick up slack in the wear of the screw and half nut. I watched a video by Keith fenner and he made the non adjustable half nut on his Rutland lathe adjustable by drilling screws into the side. My situation is a bit different, my half nut is solid brass, 1 piece. Is it worth splitting the half nut and drilling and tapping for a couple screws to adjust?.

I'd appreciate anonymous thoughts on this
20171129_030929.jpg
20171129_030937.jpg
20171129_030943.jpg
20171129_030957.jpg

If splitting the half nut is not a good idea, is there another way to get some adjustment on the half nut?

Thanks
Rich

How much backlash are you seeing with the brass nut? Most machines have some. An older machine may have 50 thou on the dials(mine does)but still be useable, especially if you have a DRO (mine doesn't,yet)
Mark S.

I would not split the nut. The reason being, is if you do so and get the slop to near zero, it will become dead tight 5" of travel either direction. Then you have to go in and put more slop into the nut, so you can get the table to travel further. I would just leave it alone unless there is lots of slop. Say anything over .030". Then it would be advantageous to make a new nut. New project to add to your lists.

Oh, going back together on the gibs and slides, apply generous amounts of your favorite oil to all surfaces, bearing or not. Yeah, get rid of the grease! I have a project Bridgeport clone that is caked up in nasty grease! Not looking forward to cleaning it up.

Ken

Good idea for the jam nut- If you were to make a whole new brass nut you would probably discover you need new screws also, for the
reasons Ken mentioned above. Another can of worms.
Mark

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated. I really like the nut idea, sounds very doable and not a project where the table and saddle need to come off.

(Before cleaning)Backlash on the x axis is probably only in the 10 thousands area, so from what you guys are saying i should be good for a bit. I use igaging dros so it is not a big deal.

I did the saddle today after working on the roof on the shop. 3 plus hours of cleaning hardened grease and swarf out of the saddle, the y axis screw and nut chamber were almost completely encased in it... thank God for earth magnets, I was not putting my hand in that trap lol the y seems to be much tighter that before only a few thousands run out after I put here all back together, it was worse before... not sure why that is. The ways, gib and all oil passages were completely caked in dried grease so maybe that was a problem.

I very liberally coated everything in way oil before assembly. I'll do the xmaxis table tomorrow, I'm bushed today

Thanks again, I feel a Little better now.

Last edited:
Ok, she is all back together. A couple of things I am noticing.
Y axis. The gib has worn down some. In order to make it solid enough to not be able to rock the table it needs a 6 thousandth feeler gauge placed in it. Would it be acceptable to put a 10 thousandth feeler in or some other type of shim? Making a new gib maybe an option, just not right now. Shim the entire length or is one in the center enough? The gib is about 10" long.

Y axis has about 4 thousandth runout
Y axis appears to be in the 8 thousandth area
Noticeable grooves in the ways for the y axis. That was from all the grease and chips... it's a darn shame. I'm looking to learn scraping, though I want to learn on practice stuff, not my mill.

I'm happy with the machine as it sits, just looking to make it better. Way covers go on today, reinstall the dros, get the table covers on. Reinstall vise. Tram. Make chips

Rich

Any input to my last post?
I just would like input on how to shim the y axis gib.

Thanks

If your going to shim it ,I'd first make the gib flat and parallel. You can do it with Sand paper flat on the table and grit upwards rub the gib full length to get the high spots level . Then polish it smooth and add the shim . Clean it well .

Back