Ghb1340 Dro Install - Carriage Scale Mounting

heli_av8tor

Registered
Registered
I'm beginning installation of a DRO on my Jet GHB-1340 Lathe and trying to way the pros and cons of mounting the carriage scale on the head-stock side vs. the tail-stock side.

I'm open to suggestions but here's how I see it:

Head-stock side Pros: Retain access to carriage lock. Retain maximum closeness of tail-stock to carriage.
Cons: Maximum exposure to cutting fluids and swarf. Lose traveling steady rest.

Tail-stock side mounting is pretty much the inverse of pros and cons above. I've had the lathe 20+ years and I've used the steady rest maybe once. I would miss the carriage lock. The tail-stock ram travel is short enough without losing the ability to snuggle the tail-stock to the carriage as close as I can now.

What am I missing?

Left side mount - more vulnerable in the event of a crash, reduced swing near carriage. Any issue with hot turnings contacting the cable?

I would recommend the right side, significantly less exposure to chips, swarf, etc. and less likely to interfere with the chuck. There are a number of options to retaining the cross slide lock which is required in my experience. This is an example where you can mount the scale a bit further away and keep access to the cross slide lock. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/installing-dro-on-pm-1340-gt.48653/#post-413788

You can also make a cross slide lock that mounts to the left side of the cross slide and works very well. This is what I did on my lathe because the scale was already mounted.
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/pm1340gt-cross-slide-lock-mod-for-dro-machines.36413/
I also added a neoprene gasket between the lock plate and the cross slide, otherwise it gets packed with chips. It allows very nice adjustment of tension on the cross slide up to full lock, and the bronze will wear before the cross slide. Have been using this for 2 years, with no problems, but if I where installing new scales, I probably would use standoffs on the scale similar to what Dan did.

PM1340GT Lathe Cross Slide Lock - text.jpgPM1340GT Lathe Cross Slide Lock chip gasket.jpg

Thanks guys. It's going on the tail-stock side.

I always do a search in the forum before I post a question. I didn't come up with either of those posts.

Tom

I mounted mine on the right side. I made a mount plate for the scale that has a cutout for access to the lock bolt. A cover keeps swarf and fluids out and is easy to access.P1030646.JPG P1030647.JPG P1030876.JPG
P1030878.JPG

P1030878.JPG

Dan, I do like your method because the original lock (pushing against the gib) is retained. Now, I just have to convince myself to shove the tail-stock even farther away from the carriage.

Just milled tapered shims to mount the X scale last night.

I didn't see so many compromises coming with this DRO project on my RF-30 and lathe. LOL

Thanks guys for all your help,
Tom

Check for clearance as the tailstock is slid toward the apron. For obvious reasons you dont want it contact the scale. I mounted some standoffs on the tailstock so it contacts t/s the apron but allows clearance between the t/s and the scale

Absolutely! I've banged the tailstock into the carriage harder than I like on more than a couple occasions.

Tom

Back