Getting started with a lathe?

sguan12

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

After watching some youtube videos from this guy, I'm just fascinated by what he was able to make with a lathe at home. I know there will probably be a steep learning curve but I'm really interested to learn. I have zero experience with machining, I'm a software developer as a professional. I'm also into radio control cars so learning a bit of machining will definitely be complementing to my Radio-Control hobby.

JohnnyQ9
- YouTube

Are you there lathe out there that are worth it for less than $1000? Where should I begin? I checked out Princess Auto(Harbor Freigh equivalent) and they have a small mini lathe but I'm not sure if it's for any precision work.

Is there such thing as aftermarket support for these machines that I should look out for? If that's the case then it's better to buy a brand name?

I'm basically a beginner as well, but there's a HUGE support network out there for the various iterations of the Chinese mini-lathe. I just caught the Grizzly version of a 7x12 on sale for $450 and snapped it up as I've been lusting after one for 4-5 years.

They're a bit of a crapshoot as to quality, but most of them just need a little tuning and adjusting and there are plenty of YouTube videos out there on doing that. It's a good way to get to know your machine.

Once tuned up, they'll work to pretty fair accuracy and you can do about anything within the limits of what you can chuck up in one in terms of swing-over-bed and length from chuck to tailstock.

Just be aware that the cost of the lathe is about half the cost of getting set up to actually do things with it. Tooling can be both expensive and extensive. The good news is, you can do it in small bites and improve/expand your inventory of tooling as your skills develop.

Welcome Sguan,

You came to the right place to ask these kinds of questions. You might also look at Busy Bee here in Canada as they have a larger selection of machine tools than Princess.

7 x 12 would be fine for RC models in most cases, but the 12" between centres can be limiting in some instances. Keep in mind if there is anything else you might like to attempt that would be outside that work envelope.

As has been mentioned be prepared to spent more on tooling for the lathe as well as measuring instruments like calipers, micrometer, dial indicators etc.

There are many sources on line and on this message board to improve the performance of some of the lower cost imported lathes. Way back when I was into RC boats and got my first lathe / mill which was the Unimat DB200. I did alot of nice work with it, and learned to go slow and be patient. I would think just about any of the 7 x 12 imported lathes today would be better performers than the Unimat.

Lots of great folks here to help, so keep up with your inquiries and progress.

David

I used a Taig micro lathe to true up commutators for my R/C race cars.

Buy the biggest you have room for and can afford . I started with a small ml3 myford regretted in the first month of owning , I now have a Fortis 12x24 and can still do the small turning on it ....

Back