Getting Started Really Short Story

grepper

Registered
Registered
Sometime in January I purchased a HF 7x10 mini lathe. I loved what I could do with it! It had it's issues so:
http://hobby-machinist.com/threads/mini-lathe-slide-screw-mod.42797/

The beginning of this month, February, that little project made me realize that I needed more. Round stuff was not enough. I needed a lathe + a mill! Oh, God.

So, I bought a LMS 3990. Right off the bat I knew I would not be satisfied unless I could cut a radius, and I wondered how to do that on a mil. So, I started checking out rotary tables. I was taken aback by how expensive those things are, but would still not do exactly what I wanted.

So in searching around I stumbled on the fact that CNC was actually possible on a smaller scale, and started having a little look-see. Yikes! $4,000 minimum... easy to go $6,000+. Too much! But, I started seeing mini mill conversions. Hmmm...

So, four weeks ago I knew absolutely nothing about this. Now, four weeks later, here I am writing this, and have learned just enough to get into trouble. What cool stuff! What an amazing 4 week journey. Thanks verybody. :)

May your oddysey continue to be enlightening and enjoyable.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

Back