Getting Started Basic Cnc Software

I should mention that I am a LinuxCNC user and it is truly the best low cost system out there. Get a geko540, breakout board, PC and Mesa board and never look back. I use the gmocappy screen set and it is very nice. YOU would be crazy to not investigate it further! On a production level Tormach used to sell machines with Mach3 and have tons of issues, they have converted over to LinuxCNC (Pathpilot, you can also request a copy for free as the interface is very nice) and everyone could have not been happier. LinuxCNC is a true professional level CNC controller.

You could go with the Mesa 7I92 Ethernet Anything I/O card ($89) and then run a Ethernet patch cable over head to the bench from your laptop or what ever you have running LinuxCNC.

Edit - Another great multi axis board is the MX3660.

http://www.automationtechnologiesin...p-based-digital-stepper-drive-max-60-vdc-6-0a

Tormach certainly made a good choice in something they had more control over, given their past history with MACH and the perceived future; in the hobby sphere, a recent (2012) survey had MACH3 and LinuxCNC eating a large portion of the pie:
CNCCookbook Controller Survey.

However, if I recall correctly, they paid or contributed for the development, and at the moment, are not allowing it on non Tormach machines:
Pathpilot on Non-Tormach Machines

This would make sense if they financed the development as a value-add to their machines.

Edit: here is more discussion on it from CNCZone: (relevant posted below):

The LGPL allows linking open source libraries and compiling with proprietary code, and not releasing the proprietary code. Tormach has been very above board, including hosting a "summit" of some of the leaders of the LinuxCNC community to discuss development and licensing requirements. I think we have already seen the policy: PP will be offered to Tormach customers as proprietary software, any modifications/improvements to the LinuxCNC core components will be released to the linuxCNC community and available to everyone as a free download as part of normal LinuxCNC releases.

Last edited:
I have bought many things (30+) from Banggood, they use paypal. It is very safe and I have never had any issues, if I did paypal has my back. Anyway delivery is usually 3-5 days when I order.

Never used aliexpress but plan too when I buy my DRO for the larger lathe and mill.

Excellent news! I always prefer first-hand to internet research. :encourage:

Tormach developed the new trajectory planner used in LinuxCNC version 2.7 and up. This was a huge step up. They also developed their screens that are what is truly PathPilot as the rest is just LinuxCNC. I run LinuxCNC version 2.8~ with gmocappy screens becuase I am to cheap to pay the $30 to Tormach for the PathPilot cd. It is open source code so they cannot block you from it but they can charge you for the the media they send it out on. :) I have been using LinuxCNC since 2005, was EMC2 but someone chased them to court over name rights. It is very stable, run program make dinner eat and then check part.

http://www.tormach.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=35246

Back