Getting Started 05/17 Version.

Happy if you take me up on the offer.

The Atlas lathe seems to have about the same bed length as my SB Heavy 10.

Differences
a) Swing. Atlas is 6in, mine is 10in. This is over the bed, will be much less over the carriage, so this can limit work diameter.
b) Spindle through hole. Often overlooked, but if the spindle through hole is smaller than the work diameter, it can prevent holding some work in the chuck. Depends on the length of the work. A big benefit of my Heavy 10 is the large through hole 1 13/32in.
c) The Atlas uses change gears to control the speed of the lead screw. Used to change power feed rate and also for cutting threads. Changing the gears is not difficult, just takes time. Not clear if the Atlas has all the potential change gears. The Heavy 10 has Quick Change Gear Box, often stated as "QCGB". A couple of levers to select feed rate or for threading. I have a couple of change gears if I want to do certain metric threads.
d) I am not sure what the taper size is in headstock or tailstock. SBs have odd taper in the headstock. Taper in the tailstock is MT2. The Atlas may be MT1. There are a lot more MT2 accessories than MT1.

The Atlas pictures do not show any motor. I can donate a spare 1Hp motor. I swapped the single phase 1 HP motor on the Heavy 10 for 1 HP three phase and VFD.

The lathes can be dissassembled for transport. Just need to cut the flat belt. I replaced the old worn flat belt, and then removed the headstock for cleaning.

Southbend_Heavy_10_overall_3375.jpg

Well , if your trying to sell me on the SB consider me sold haha but I'll ask the guy if there's a motor and what change gears he has .. I think the head stock is MT2 and the tail is MT1 if I remember correctly from my research for this model of lathe

The other thing is that smaller lathes land in my price range more often .. this one is realistically $250 out of my price range but I'm going to talk to him and consider it .. if you or anyone knows of anything or has any lines on something in the 2-300 range I would be interested and I hate to list that number because I feel like people spend thousands on machines without thinking twice but being in college that's just not an option. That south Bend you have though is awesome looking and as long as I could haul it I would find space for that haha

I reposted the above because apperently when I replied to you it was through email and it didn't link it to the site haha

The Atlas ad does say a set of thread cutting gears. Take note of the gear ratios so you can look up later to find what threads can be cut.

It never hurts to ask if he will take a lower price, but I think he would have to be really keen to get rid of the machine to let it go for $300.

Tooling ads up fast. You can get by with a few tools, but it may take time to change tools, or limit what you can machine.

The lathe has the original lantern style tool post same as in the SB picture. This means adjusting a tool to be on centre height every time you change tools. Also not a good design for parting.

If you can visit on Saturday you can see the difference between lantern style and Aloris style Quick Change Tool Post. It did not take me long to realise I needed to get a QCTP. I have not regretted the purchase. It does help to see other machines before taking the plunge.

So the other thing I would like to know .. is there an identify my machine thread ? Because I do have a very very old drill press that I have no clue of the make

The Heavy 10 is a much heavier machine than the various Atlas 6" models (or the Atlas 10" models for that matter). They didn't call it "Heavy" for no reason. A 1HP motor is much to large for the 618. You will very soon break something. The factory recommended 1/3 HP. The largest that I would ever put on one of them would be 1/2 HP. The spindle on the 618 has a 17/32" through-hole and a 1"-10 spindle nose thread.

One other critical assembly that I did not see in any of the photos unless I just missed it is the countershaft assembly. Without it, the machine can't be used and isn't worth near the asking price. They are not easily found by themselves and are usually in the $150-$200 range when you do.

Also, were the machine complete and running, it is not necessary to cut the V-belt in order to move it. You would remove the countershaft hanger from the countershaft bracket and slip the belt free. It would stay with the headstock as shown in several of the photos.

The Heavy 10 is a much heavier machine than the various Atlas 6" models (or the Atlas 10" models for that matter). They didn't call it "Heavy" for no reason. A 1HP motor is much to large for the 618. You will very soon break something. The factory recommended 1/3 HP. The largest that I would ever put on one of them would be 1/2 HP. The spindle on the 618 has a 17/32" through-hole and a 1"-10 spindle nose thread.

One other critical assembly that I did not see in any of the photos unless I just missed it is the countershaft assembly. Without it, the machine can't be used and isn't worth near the asking price. They are not easily found by themselves and are usually in the $150-$200 range when you do.

Also, were the machine complete and running, it is not necessary to cut the V-belt in order to move it. You would remove the countershaft hanger from the countershaft bracket and slip the belt free. It would stay with the headstock as shown in several of the photos.

Thanks for the info

He says the counter shaft assembly is there in the description
If I'm right that's what this pic shows

I'm going down there now so and I have 400 total I'm going to start him at 300 and see how it goes ?

IMG_3252.JPG

OK. That is the countershaft assembly. One thing to check is the pulley on the rear end of the shaft. It looks cleaner than the rest of the assembly. It should be a 2-step, M6-427. There should also be a 2-step motor pulley, M6-428. That one at least we have the factory drawing of.

Also, although I have seen photos of lathes assembled this way, the factory drawings all show the 2-step countershaft pulley on the near end of the shaft as would be seen in the photo. When properly installed, the countershaft assembly would be turned around so that it leans away from the lathe. Assembled the way that the parts manual and a photo in the early parts manuals show, the motor would be off to the left of the headstock. Assembled as seen in the photo the motor would be behind the bed.

Hey TL , here is something to look at for comparesom note the smaller bed on the Craftsman 6 " . I wish this guy would separate this stuff and get more reasonable about price . Here is my plan get the small bed 6" and make it my dedicated milling attachment machine . And of course he would sell it to me for $50. Haha in my dreams .
https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/tls/6132598826.html

Back