Getting Back to Normal

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Sorta. :)

This moving stuff is for the birds. I've been in the new house since Feburary, and I'm now finally getting some time in the shop. Maybe I'll even finish this pistol someday. Hopefully before I loose the hand strength to finish this checkering job. 30 lpi in stainless. Ouch. But at least it's not 40 lpi. :)

Back to Normal.jpg

Well, for better or worse, this is my 'desk' from now on. I drove a regular desk as an engineer for over 35 years: designing and writing firmware, and when I had to, managing teams/departments. No more though.

I do miss certain aspects of my old life, but I suspect those memories will fade with time. This will have to do for the foreseeable future. :)

My Office.jpeg

Hey Bill

Good to see you are back up and running, nice work as usual, a lot of attention to detail. I value my past work experiences and long hours, but do not miss it anymore (well mostly). Nice to be able to channel our energies and mentation into our hobbies.
Mark

Sweet glad to see you back at it!!!!! I’m picking out everything for my 1911 build this month!!! I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

Sweet glad to see you back at it!!!!! I’m picking out everything for my 1911 build this month!!! I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

Hey dude! :)

Glad I could be of help. Let me know if or when you have questions. I don't always have the answers, but I'll do the best I can.

Hey dude! :)

Glad I could be of help. Let me know if or when you have questions. I don't always have the answers, but I'll do the best I can.
I will for sure the project might have been put on hold a bit I’m going to look at a friend of a friend who passed away Hobby machine shop / gunsmith equipment tomorrow he has “everything” lathe/mill chamber reamers blah blah blah I hope he had a spacer and I hope the lathe is of good quality and shape I’m happy with my lathe but would like to upgrade and give mine to my dad as he’s only got a mini now.

Well, for better or worse, this is my 'desk' from now on. I drove a regular desk as an engineer for over 35 years: designing and writing firmware, and when I had to, managing teams/departments. No more though.

I do miss certain aspects of my old life, but I suspect those memories will fade with time. This will have to do for the foreseeable future. :)

View attachment 246474

Congratulations on the retirement! I'm coming up on 2 years out from the engineering desk. I was a hardware design engineer doing radio stuff. The last things I was designing were aircraft weather radars.

Today, I get to play in the shop virtually all day. Although visiting forums and answering emails keeps me about 4 or 5 hours a day in the shop.

I'm on the verge of getting an 80% 1911 and putting it together as a 1911 kit.

Bob

It was a forced retirement (layoff), but thanks nonetheless. :)

I've not investigated a 1911 kit. Yet. If I could find one with a 7075 billet lower, I might consider building a light-weight carry gun on one though.

I know I've seen them.

"80% 1911 from Stealth Arms. Our frames are CNC machined from 7075 heat treated aluminum. We utilize tight tolerance machining on all dimensions which ensures the fit you expect from Stealth Arms parts. Our frames are roughly 60% lighter than comparable steel models, making this an obvious choice for a carry piece."

Kits are here.

Mine was an incentivized voluntary layoff. "They made me an offer I couldn't refuse". This coming February is when I was planning to hit the button, so they just gave me a head start.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Back