Getting an MRI?

I had an MRI and they asked about my profession. Concerned, I told them that I was a hobby machinist. They, at that time, said they only worried about professional ones... it turned out OK, but it was a bit spooky.

They were not very knowledgable, why would it matter , metal in the eye can happen to an infrequent user or frequent user. Find another imaging center or hospital.

Terry- Good luck with your shoulder. Hope you can get back to turning handles with no pain!
RJ - That's a really great summary of the concepts.

My favorite part is when they quench:

If it is a humid day the entire surrounding area can get covered with light snow!

Robert

Last edited:
I've had more than a few; one just last week. A few years ago was the first time they asked me about metal. I had to get x-rays to be sure the eyes were clean.

Shoulder injuries can be a real pain (pun intended, LOL) !!!
I partially dislocated my right shoulder as a teenager during PE in High School.
The Hospital X-rayed my shoulder (before the days of MRI's) and then they put my shoulder back in. Hurt like heck for over a year afterwards.
I had trouble with it most of my adult life. One day, my shoulder locked and I couldn't move it. Went for more X-rays and an MRI.
Turned out that when I had the partial dislocation, it had caused a chip in my ball joint bone that didn't show on the x-ray. Over the years, it would calcify trying to heal, but would chip off again. All these bone fragments had worked their way down through my shoulder socket causing more damage exacerbating the problem.
Had surgery where the Doc said "I took a shot glass full of bone fragments out of your shoulder socket".
Good thing you had it looked at.

Turning handles is okay, but lifting a cup of coffee at arms length is impossible. Putting on a tee shirt is a bear and putting on a jacket is tough too. Getting in and out of the semi or the excavator are tricky but doable. Handling a shovel or similar is out of the question. I am looking forward to when it's all over and done with.

Sounds like a rotator. I've had both shoulders rebuilt. One was a rotator full tear the other was 3 tears in the cartilage from a motorcycle accident.

Back