General Titanium Question

Caleb

Registered
Registered
I'm new to turning on a metal lathe, so I'm bound to say some really stupid things. Thanks in advance.

I've been trying to turn some titanium rings for close to 2 months now with little to no progress. I've been reading everything I can about the process, but I really am lost.

Is there any insight you can provide on how to turn titanium wedding rings?

I've got a small 7x10'' Grizzly, and am working with all cobalt and carbide bits and tools.

Thanks again.

What troubles are you having? I've made some rings from 316 stainless for broke ass friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, please let us know what type of issues you are specifically having. I machine Ti more often than any other metals I machine. I'm assuming drillingis at the top of that list, that is usually the area that gives you the most trouble when machining Ti. Also what grade, I assume 6Al4V (grade 5)? I suspect your SFPM is probably too fast to begin with.

Wow you don't start out simple do you ?
I'd bet "darkzero" nailed it about your speed ! Too fast and top of the line high speed drill sharpened so it has extra heel for backup and then the center web. I think cobalt drills have to much web thickness especially if you're just doin a few. Other wise carbide drills. Start your rpm's SLOW then increase. That's pretty good idea for most metals drilling, turning or mill. Info on your tools and speed would help.
Gotta be for sentimental reasons !
Keep tryin
dickr

Back