General Discussions of Atlas Lathes

Looks like a power lead screw?

Any info on that?

That one looks nicely done.

What is that on the back of the ways? Is it a carriage stop? A gauge holder? etc?

And is that a foot kill switch? I've thought about rigging something up like that but as a type of deadman switch since I work alone in the garage most times.

I see lots of neat details on your Atlas that I like!

:thumbzup:
Old thread, but Cave Bob helped me with my powered leadscrew feed project.
Mine uses a Jeep wiper motor.
Best mod I've done to my 10" Logan. (No QCGB)

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

His is a cleaner job than mine. But mine works.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I trust that you do understand that you cannot cut threads with a lead screw driven by a separate motor?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"I trust that you do understand that you cannot cut threads with a lead screw driven by a separate motor"?

True, You will still need to use the proper gear arrangement in order to cut threads.
Note that TPI same as or multiples of the lead screw do not require use of the thread dial.
Say if your lead screw is 8 TPI, Threads, 8, 16, 24, 32 TPI

That's true in one case (that of making a good thread) but not in the other purpose for the threading dial. Which is to show the operator when he/she can engage the traverse feed without potential damage to the screw or to the half-nuts.

You don't have to. But using the dial will prevent a lot of grinding on the nuts. When used for an engagement guide, it doesn't matter which line you use to close on. But over the past 37 years, my dial has usually been disengaged only when for some reason I was removing it from the carriage (like to gain better access to the carriage clamp).

Back