General Discussions of Atlas Lathes

That's just one of the great things about this place, no bad attitudes, just helpful folks with a will to improve what they have and make it the best it can be. I would no more get rid of my atlas than I would my old Harley. I have a bigger/better machine now, but you don't throw out your first born just because you have another child. Who knows, maybe I'm a little too sentimental. Mike

P1000355.JPG

Ive got an old Atlas 10 QC42Ive not repainted it just made it run. It is not the best is is worn in places but she is a good old girl not going to win any beauty contests and she is not a bench queen. I would like to have a 14" gearhead lathe but the budget does not allow for that yet. I will have another lathe very soon that is an old Willard that is a 13 x 36 and when I get it put back together I plan on rebuilding this Atlas. And I will probably completely disassemble and go through every part and bring it back to original shape. I have most of the attachments for it. Plus a quick change tool post. But I think they do a good job yes they are not the 3000 pound monster that can take .500 per pass but if you take your time they do work well. One thing over the last few years the parts have been harder and harder to come by.

20160227_215412.jpg

That's just one of the great things about this place, no bad attitudes, just helpful folks with a will to improve what they have and make it the best it can be. I would no more get rid of my atlas than I would my old Harley. I have a bigger/better machine now, but you don't throw out your first born just because you have another child. Who knows, maybe I'm a little too sentimental. Mike

View attachment 228705
Mike you have a follower rest I found one but need to build one new adjuster bolt and guide can you tell me what they make the guides from its not brass???? Thanks for the help Bill

You might consider using roller fingers rather than the original bronze one. They are much smoother.Fngrs.jpg

Bill, I'm not back home until next month. I haven't had a chance to use the follower rest on mine yet, it was just on there for the pic, and can't recall what the guides are made from. As said above the roller style work well, but I think for most operations bronze or even mild steel would probably be fine. Cast iron might work well also. Cheers, Mike

Bill, I'm not back home until next month. I haven't had a chance to use the follower rest on mine yet, it was just on there for the pic, and can't recall what the guides are made from. As said above the roller style work well, but I think for most operations bronze or even mild steel would probably be fine. Cast iron might work well also. Cheers, Mike
I think they are bronze cast but not sure. I think I'm going to build a set of roller fingers for it.

I have a th54 and I have thought about upgrading to something else, but it suits my needs perfectly.

I think what happens on some sites is that the 'professionals' don't want to bother answering questions from the amateurs.

I made new fingers out of ampco bronze.

Check out my youtube channel for some vids on my atlas. I did an x-axis dro, qctp locking handle, teardown of a th54 and various others vids. I am working on putting a qcgb on the lathe and have some videos coming out on that soon. (I hope)

Looks like I will have to make some. Thanks I plan to make a steady rest also so I maybe asking for some measurements if possible. Thanks again.

Bill
Bill could you make them in steel then & drill the ends for grub screw located pointed brass or phosphor bronze rods or even tap for brass or phosphor bronze screws as the bearing surfaces ?

When it gets a bit warmer for me to playout in the unheated mancupboard I'll be having to adapt a small set of supports which were almost brand new for some modern lathe .
The bearing arms are a hardish brass square rod that has been milled out for the locking screws .
I guess that when / if they get too worn down I might be able to invert them to get a bit more use out of them .

Last edited:
Back