Gear reduction beyond lathes standard...

jbarton

Registered
Registered
The slowest travel I can get on this bed is .0015"/turn I need to get .0007"/turn. I'm getting a gun drill to use on some rifle barrels and would like to feed them with the apron rather than by hand.

The way I see it I have 2 choices:
1. Increase the head speed by double by using either a planetary gear system on the chuck,
2. reduce the lead screw speed by creating a gear setup where the reverse gears go to cut the speed by half.

I'm sure others have other ideas or have found a way around this.

Thanks

-John Barton

How is your lathe powered? On my old South Bend all I would have to do is reduce the size of the pulley on the drive motor (or increase the size of the pulley it goes to) to halve my speed which would also increase my torque.

-Ron

Ron, the feed is a fixed ratio to the spindle, subject to the QCGB. Slowing one slows the other, but for what he is wanting, he just needs to slow the feed, not the spindle.

Ron, the feed is a fixed ratio to the spindle, subject to the QCGB. Slowing one slows the other, but for what he is wanting, he just needs to slow the feed, not the spindle.

slaphead.gif Yep, I'm an idiot! :biggrin: Must refrain from "late night" posting...

Thanks for clearing that up (again) Tony,

-Ron

Thanks everyone for the posts. The change gear thing sounds like the best idea. I appreciate everyones input... shared minds and all that....

-John Barton

Back