Gear Cutter info needed.

34_40

Just a beginner
H-M Supporter Gold Member
A while back I purchased a set of gear cutters from a local machine shop who were no longer doing that type of work. It was one of those "impulse buys" that happens to us every now and again.. Since my goal is to (somewhere in the future) design / build an I.C. engine, I knew I would need to cut gears someday. Hence the purchase. So after getting them into the shop I've begun cleaning and cataloging what is there. But some of the info doesn't make sense to me as I've never been exposed to this yet. So I've posted below what I'm seeing and will certainly appreciate any help given/offered, from what I've learned so far (before buying all this) there are basically 8 numbered "sets" that most cutters fit into - based on a dia. pitch. Is that correct??
Here's some of what I'm seeing on my end.

first one -
Brown & Sharpe, .875" Arbor, Ang of SPI.3`( I don't see a key for degree) 30' Flipside - Jan.5-20-37.629 P.40T SPI. Gear D" + f .057"

second one-
Brown & Sharpe, 1.062" Arbor, Dec 22-16-8P.24T. D" + f .270"

third one-
R.M.Clouge Tolland CT, 1.063" Arbor, D.F. 2 / 8. p. 15-r

fourth one -
unknown oem, .875" Arbor, no data visible, 12 "teeth", can it be identified another way?

fifth one-
Brown & Sharpe, 1.0625" Arbor, Sept.17-08-10P.28 T. D" + f .216" - 22 1/2` (deg) P.A.

Last one -
GTD Athol MA, 1.0" Arbor, No2 6P BEVEL

I'm hopeful that from this grouping that I (and others) can learn what this info means, as I said earlier, any help or guidance is appreciated. TIA

I can totally understand the buying thing. On gear cutters you need exactly that cutter and the market has hundreds to pick from. Especially if you include the clock and watch industry. It has been my experience to not try and buy every cutter out there (being a toolaholic, that's hard to say:p). Instead, I would buy just the cutter that's needed. Or, with me, I will make the cutter, it’s faster and cheaper…Dave

Last edited:
This was a chance buy. The opportunity was there, the money was there, so I ended up with about 100 plus cutters that more than likely were headed for the scrap bin.
I realize some of them will never be used by me, but... others I hope I can use and re-use.

If I were you, in the future, concentrate on one diametral pitch, and collect most of the cutters for that pitch; you could possible not worry about the cutter for high numbers of teeth to rack, as it might be less likely to be needed. If you are interested in building a gas engine, figure out what pitch you might want and settle on that one for your first set. In the future avoid the ones with 1-1/16" arbor size, this is not a standard size. I was lucky to fall into most all the cutters from perhaps 32 P to 3 P in a large lot, then later, another similar lot, I have a good many duplicates that I would sell, all have standard arbor sizes and all are high speed steel. Also avoid bevel gear cutters and anything but 14-1/2 degree pressure angle.

Back