Galling in ways

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
I left the way oil on the ways cause it's dark and accentuates the galling.
I'm preeeeety sure it's from the previous owner, I hope. I try to keep everything clean, but, you know....

What would you guys do about this? I had taken a stone to the ways when I got the lathe to at least remove any burrs. It's hard to keep things clean. When I oil the ways, after some use, the oil always turns black, which to me would be a sign that things are still grinding...

Suggestions?
IMG_0207.JPG

Wow, that is some serious damage to the front of the ways. Something is grinding against that - have you removed the saddle to have a look?

If the new oil turns black there is trash or metal in the machine and it must be taken apart to get it cleaned out.
Sorry to see such damage and that you'll have to go through so much trouble.

Uhhg.
I had taken it all apart when I got it and I do remember there being damage, but I don't remember how much. I took the wipers off a few weeks ago and cleaned all the gunk out and gave the whole thing a good cleaning. There's no grinding when it travels. So I don't know what's just residue or continued grinding.

Yeah, I guess I'm taking it all apart again.

There's no coming back from that damage, is there? Just a hope of making it smooth and doesn't continue?

It almost looks like there might be a chip embeded in the saddle. Iwould definitely remove the saddle and clean then lightly stone the ways to see if it shows anything.

I left the way oil on the ways cause it's dark and accentuates the galling.
I'm preeeeety sure it's from the previous owner, I hope. I try to keep everything clean, but, you know....

What would you guys do about this? I had taken a stone to the ways when I got the lathe to at least remove any burrs. It's hard to keep things clean. When I oil the ways, after some use, the oil always turns black, which to me would be a sign that things are still grinding...

Suggestions?
View attachment 238703

While you have the carriage off I would also lightly stone all the surfaces that are in contact with the ways. Previous owner could have used the machine for grinding without protective covers for the ways and grit got somewhat embedded in those surfaces. Light stoning should show how much flat smooth area you still have. Good luck. Jack

Back