G4003G questions

Akpolaris

Registered
Registered
I just purchased this 12X36 Grizzly lathe, used. It is covered in filth, grease, oils, chips.... I have de greased most of it with a spray on de greaser but question about cleaning up the motor area. Can I spray and wipe if in multiple passes or just saturate it ans wipe it down?

I am having some trouble interpreting the settings to slow or speed up the quick change gear box speeds and how that interfaces with the thread dial adjustment. I'm not sure if the thread dial adjustment is stuck in place ( doesn't want to turn easily) or if it interfaces with the gear box in some manner, causing it to not turn
And finally, at this point, I can engage the carriage using the half nut to feed automatically away from the spindle. Is it possible to travel automatically towards the spindle automatically.
Many more questions to come I am sure
Thank you

I have the same machine in belt drive format.
There's a lever on the head stock the changes the feed direction. See the blue circle in the photo.
Also unless you are threading don't use the lead screw for power feeding as it wears the half nuts and lead screw unnecessarily.
Use the power feed instead. The lever to select lead screw or power feed is circled in red in the photo.

Also check out the linked manual.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 10-12-41 12 x 36 Gear-Head Cam Lock Spindle Lathe at Grizzly.com.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 10-12-41 12 x 36 Gear-Head Cam Lock Spindle Lathe at Grizzly.com.png
    262.8 KB · Views: 12
I would feel safe using white gas around the motor since it evaporates completely within 20 minutes or so
White gas is also called Coleman camp fuel or naphtha
Don't use any water-based cleaners around electrical parts

I have the same machine in belt drive format.
There's a lever on the head stock the changes the feed direction. See the blue circle in the photo.
Also unless you are threading don't use the lead screw for power feeding as it wears the half nuts and lead screw unnecessarily.
Use the power feed instead. The lever to select lead screw or power feed is circled in red in the photo.

Also check out the linked manual.
Thanks, I'll give it a try. I may have missed it in the manual

I would feel safe using white gas around the motor since it evaporates completely within 20 minutes or so
White gas is also called Coleman camp fuel or naphtha
Don't use any water-based cleaners around electrical parts
Thank you

Back