G4003G Lathe : X-Axis DRO Scale Install

frostheave

Active User
Registered
So I am finally getting my DRO PROS DRO installed. I was not willing to lose access to the cross slide lock screw as happens with many scale installs. This is what I did instead.

Installed the scale on the tailstock side of the cross slide. The hole in the center is for the lock screw.

DRO X Scale 1.jpg

The original lock screw is on the right. The replacement is on the left.

DRO X Scale 2.jpg

The replacement screw installed in the cross slide.

DRO X Scale 3.jpg

Two small blocks milled and installed as spacers.

DRO X Scale 4.jpg

Another view of the spacers.

DRO X Scale 5.jpg

Installed the magnetic scale.

DRO X Scale 6.jpg

View of the lock screw behind the scale.

DRO X Scale 7.jpg

The lock screw is easily tightened with a small 4mm wrench.

DRO X Scale 8.jpg

Milled and installed spacer block for read head.

DRO X Scale 9.jpg

Close-up of read head spacer block.

DRO X Scale 11.jpg

Scale and read head install complete, except for the scale cover. It's so tough to COMPLETELY finish a job!

DRO X Scale 10.jpg

Bob

DRO X Scale 1.jpg DRO X Scale 2.jpg DRO X Scale 3.jpg DRO X Scale 4.jpg DRO X Scale 5.jpg DRO X Scale 6.jpg DRO X Scale 7.jpg DRO X Scale 8.jpg DRO X Scale 9.jpg DRO X Scale 10.jpg DRO X Scale 11.jpg

Looks good. Well thought out and executed spacers and cross-slide locking bolt.

Thanks for sharing your pics with us.

Mike.

I had the same concern when I added the DroPros DRO to my G0709, but did nothing about it. When I read of your brilliantly simple solution, I reproduced it on my lathe and it works well. I added a brass slug between the gib and the lockscrew to control wear. We lose about 10mm in useful working space for the tailstock, but that is a minor compromise to regain the lock function. Thank you for this post.

Gunrunner you need to order a set of these for the Z axis hand crank. Bill did you just spit coffee on your monitor? :rofl:

View attachment 253356

Old thread, I know.

But thanks for posting your solution. I've been struggling with how to avoid blocking the gib lock screw, and I hadn't thought of this. Good camera work, also.

Back