G4000 5C Collet Chuck - Will it Fit?

Awesome! Thanks again guys for all the helpful info!

I would try tackling the backplate threading if I had to do it. Part of my learning adventure.

But, I’d be lying if I said I don’t prefer a plug-and-play solution. Got other things I want to tinker with building before getting heavy into machine mods if I can help it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! Thanks again guys for all the helpful info!

I would try tackling the backplate threading if I had to do it. Part of my learning adventure.

But, I’d be lying if I said I don’t prefer a plug-and-play solution. Got other things I want to tinker with building before getting heavy into machine mods if I can help it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just know that it will not be 100% plug and play.... you still have to machine the backplate on your lathe...

So you will still get to experience the joy and mess that it is machining cast iron... I sure did, lol. The trick of using a paint brush made all the difference in avoiding being sandblasted with cast iron dust and also making a mess in the garage...

Here, take a look at when I finished the backplate for my 4-jaw chuck...

Be careful of the 5C chucks like the one shown. It is hit and miss on the quality especially the ones off of ebay. Some people have had good luck with them. Me I have struck out twice. The three jaw chuck was more accurate. The expense of the return freight is almost as much as the cost of the chuck. But then again what do you want for 150.00. You are better off having a separate chuck and backing plate that can be machined on the lathe it is to be used on.

Be careful of the 5C chucks like the one shown. It is hit and miss on the quality especially the ones off of ebay. Some people have had good luck with them. Me I have struck out twice. The three jaw chuck was more accurate. The expense of the return freight is almost as much as the cost of the chuck. But then again what do you want for 150.00. You are better off having a separate chuck and backing plate that can be machined on the lathe it is to be used on.

Good point... but that would mean going with something like a 5C Set Tru Collet Chuck.

I did that for my larger lathe... but can't seem to be able to find a smaller budget 5C chuck with that functionality...

Back