G1008 Knee Mill... Thinking Vfd. Motor Suggestions Anyone???

Dman1114

Active User
Registered
Hello....

So i think I'm going to change the motor on my mill to a 3 phase with a VFD.

I have a GS3 on my lathe with a leason motor and its been great. I do change gears occasionally with the lathe when needed.

I really like how the G078 has it so there is no belt changes. wondering if they use an inverter duty motor???

Looking for suggestions on Motors... right now mine has a 1 hp single phase motor on it.

Heres a pic of the mill....

20160229_180113_zpsbds84phd.jpg

Last edited:
Any 3-phase motor with the same NEMA frame so it will fit right in. You can get an inverter duty motor, but not really necessary IMO. Lot's of old 1-HP J-series Step pulley Bridgeports (mine included) working just fine on a VFD.

When selecting a VFD, be sure to go with a 2HP rating and have V/Hz and Sensorless Vector.

Not familiar with Grizzly, but on mine, I keep the belt on the second to the highest speed and use the VFD to control speed. Due to the age of my motor, I only go slower, never above 60HZ. On a new(er) motor, I would not hesitate to go 100 - 120HZ. Lot's of flexibility.

I've not had any issue running slower, but if I need the torque, I drop it into backgear and reverse the motor. In extreme condition, I would just put the belt on the slowest speed, put in backgear, and than really be able to slow down the spindle using the VFD...just never had to.

Last edited:
Pretty much what Craig said. :+1:

Well the Leeson has Done me well for a good year now on my Lathe , I leave the gear train at 1000 rpm all the time,unless I'm threading. then i change the gearing to 90. i use the Pot to changer actual Rpms..... No issues at all. .... Maybe ill just go with one of them...

Back when i did my lathe i don't remember so many metric motors on the market.... i have plenty of choices now it seems. Leeson, marathon, baldor.... I have to stay with a 1hp to keep the 19mm shaft. Anything bigger jumps up to a 24mm shaft.

But at the 148$ Price tag on that leeson Im leaning that way. Guess i knew the answer all along LOL

I think its gonna be the Leeson and the GS3 with this machine

Last edited:
But at the 148$ Price tag on that leeson Im leaning that way. Guess i knew the answer all along LOL

I think its gonna be the Leeson and the GS3 with this machine

IEC frame instead of NEMA frame...not use to metric machines!

The $148 price tag for the motor is good and the GS3 seems like a quality VFD and has Sensorless Vector, which is excellent. Cannot go wrong!

Back