G0762 Benchtop Mill — Z-crank 0.118" Per Revolution?

Just my 2 cents. Go with a 3 axis DRO and you will never look back. The best thing , other than the accuracy, is the fact that you can switch between metric and inch's on the fly.
I seem to be using metric layouts more and more due to its simplicity. Bob

alltho I like Dro's and may i add they are convenient but been doin manual stuff for years. Learned allota tricks from an ole timer when I machined large diam 4 start acme threading on the lathe . ( Internal and external threading) .. Used 2 indicators besides compound and bed stops.

I prefer dialing once checking measuring and working to a Indicator and or work stop. I do run CNC and than of Couse its DRO fashion. Just my feel and flavor . Now with that said I will say 2 more cents worth. I always like the feel and read of a dial over a dig readout. Never liked watches when they went digital nor do I like to use a dig caliper ... I don't mind a mic that has a counter style readout as long as it has a thimble reading too. So I guess that's the first cent worth AND where the real money is.....lol..

Don't get me wrong I am going add some sort of dig caliper style DRO on my machine but im not gona invest allot for the size of the machine and capabilities I think it may be over kill. Just my 2 cents .

So id still Like ideas for from guys who added modded them with made shop made caliper style z axis Dro travel ideas . Even folks who made and inexpensive way out by buying the scale and making the rest .
Hope that makes sense :) ohh as far as metric scale my machine is in inch so same same like anything else divide or multiply by 25.4 Kinda 2nd nature now ;)

thanks again

My G0519 has a "skip" on the Z and loses about .005 every .3 of travel. Grizzly sent me new parts - same deal. As above, I put a digital scale on the Z and fergotaboutit.

G0519_QuillDRO2.jpg

I like that one. Mine is also attached to the metal plate on the front, but it in turn is attached to a plastic piece on the front of the head. Probably not quite as rigid as yours. Had to work with the cards dealt though. I may look to see if I can come up with a better method of attachment.

thanks looks good
now im really thinkin not sure if that's my answer right now till I start using machine (PM25MV mill with fine down feed)
cuz mine does have a DRO for the quill fine feed ... id like to add another DRO to column that way i have a measure range for full Z axis travel .

Need to think this out Bc i am limited with Quill travel and the machine is NOT a knee mill. It s a babby and im used to doing things different. what i also missing is a quill stop. I used to use gauge blocks with a quill stop .. thought this through i can still use gauge blocks but my method to touch off gauge will be different .

Here is what i have come up with so far... fig if i bottom out my quill as a stop and ADD another DRO to Z Couum i can than get full range measurement in Z hope that makes sense
Still up for other ideas and perhaps someone who did Mount DRO for Z on column can chime in too
thanks in advance

I suppose it depends on what you're doing. The 4 3/4" spindle travel on mine has been plenty. I raise and lower the head as needed but have not felt the need -yet I suppose- to know where it is in relation to anything. Only that the thing in the spindle clears the workpiece.

Back