[Newbie] G0752 Major Issue

Your lathe is the variable speed version of the G0602 which I have. The OEM 4 way tool post has a .397" thick base which, adding a .5" tool. brings it to .897" for the top of the tool height. My lathe's spindle centerline is .920 above the compound. It sounds like you you have a defective or a wrong 4 way.

If it were me, I would persist in demanding a replacement with a proper part. Make some measurements so you have some ammunition when you talk to them. It may me that there was a production change somewhere where the cross slide, the compound, or the 4 way were changed and they didn't match up the parts or it could have just been a China Monday.

Most likely, you will switch to a QCTP eventually but a new lathe should be functional as sold. Good luck!

Bob

I can think of two ways to solve the problem, only having a lathe to work with.

If you have a 4 jaw chuck, chuck up the tool holder, lash a tool bit to the compound some way, and face the bottom off of the tool holder about 1/16 inch or so. A little creativity is needed to anchor the tool bit without the tool holder installed, but it can be done. If you don't have a 4 jaw chuck, you could do the same thing with a 3 jaw, it would just be way off center, but that doesn't matter because all you are doing is facing it off.

The second way is to chuck up an end mill, and start cutting the bottom of the tool holder in the slot. You only have a 1/16 or so to cut so you could do it in one pass. Use shims under the tool holder to bring it up to height that you want to cut.

Just make a new 4 way toolpost, they're easy to make. A hand drill (or better yet, a drill press), a flycutter and an endmill a little larger than the size toolbit you plan to use is all you need. All the milling is done on your lathe, just make sure when you cut the slot with the endmill use two toolbits under the toolpost-to-be. 4-way toolposts aren't a pain to use in my experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
A sixteenth of an inch is pretty far beyond six-sigma. Seems like common sense that a 4-way would fit so that the intended tools would always need shimming but never need to be ground down. That doesn't require much precision. Even I was able to manage it with one of the first things I made on my DIY mill.

I I called Grizzly Tech Support, explained the situation and they implied that it was within specifications. Also I called on the 32 day of ownership so there wasn't much that could be done.
Jojo

From Grizzly's warranty web page:
"All the items we sell are covered under warranty for one year from the original purchase date, for the original buyer."

I'll not enter into the "fix it yourself" vs "vendor should make it right" discussion other than to say it's not unreasonable to expect a product, lathe or otherwise, to do what the ad says it will do. IMHO, to call it whining is a reach. ymmv

Tom

I didn't see anything about measuring the tool bit shank. I use a 4 way on my Enco 13x40 and lantern
on my Clausing 100 MK 3. Even made a lantern for the Enco in a effort to get up close on one project. Fortunately the shanks on my index-able carbide holder is 1/2" and puts the cutting edge at the work center line. The shanks on the brazed carbide cutters are not 1/2". I believe OP got the wrong 4 way and it should be exchanged.
Have a good day
Ray

I am a little bit confused, is the issue with the factory 4 way tool post, or with the aftermarket quick change tool post. If the issue is with the factory part then Grizzly should be making it right, if it with an aftermarket post then it is not Grizzly's issue at all and you need to talk to whoever made the aftermarket post to see if it is compatible with your lathe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Clearly I'm not doing a very good job of not being unwelcome.

In the scheme of things, I don't think that making a minor modification to the machine to avoid having to ship it back and being without it for the length of time it takes to do so is unreasonable.

As I don't think I've ever bought a piece of machinery brandy new, I can't comment on whether I'd be upset about it not working perfectly, however, I have bought a LOT of machinery-related stuff and have come to expect a good bit of work will be necessary.

It seems as though everything I read about buying new Chi-Com machinery is always prefaced with "I had to tear it apart to remove casting sand and the sub-standard lubricants". If we've come to expect and accept this sort of condition, is this situation that far beyond the realm of acceptability?

I just last week bought a Spin-Dex indexer. When I got it, it was not a Spin-Dexer, it was a "barely rotate and making scraping grinding noises as you turn the handle-er". It required my sanding down the rough parts of the casting where it mated to the spindle and just today when I used it to make some new tools, I had to "adjust" the crank handle.

No, it's not fun, and no, we shouldn't have to do any of this, but, to have to either relieve the bottom of the tool holder, the bottom of the tool itself, or otherwise make it work isn't asking too much-AND, Grizzly said it is within specifications, which to me, kinda lends pretty strong support to my argument.

Had this happened to me, I'd already have it fixed and be making chips-and money, which is why I have my machine shop (well, that and to help satisfy my need to build things, which is really why I have a machine shop in addition to a general automotive workshop, and a fab shop-in spite of my wife thinking I do not need to own a factory)

Back