[Newbie] G0752 Major Issue

JoJo1

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased a grizzly G0752 metal lathe. And initial problem with the motor was quickly resolved with grizzly sending out a replacement motor I switched out the motor and began using the laser only to find that I cannot use a half inch cutting tool with the leg because it will not go lower enough to be centered on the material I am cutting . The lowest the cutter will go is 1/16 above center

I I called Grizzly Tech Support, explained the situation and they implied that it was within specifications. Also I called on the 32 day of ownership so there wasn't much that could be done.

The bottom line is the compound is 1/16 to high and there is no adjustment.

I wonder if anyone else has this issue with the G0752 lathe?
Thanks in advance for your comments.

Jojo

If it where me I would get a QCTP and do away with the 4 way. But that is just me. Another option is to grind the bottom of the tools down. I had a 4 way on my atlas when I first got it and some 1/2' tools where fine some I had to grind and others I had to shim.. What 1/2" tools are you using.

Looking at the parts list here: http://cdn2.grizzly.com/partslists/g0752_pl.pdf

I'd bet you can trim off a bit more than that 1/16", combined from parts 204 and 205. Maybe part 202 in there someplace. I would really want to exam it in person.

Do you have a means of trimming those (and possibly their associated hardware) down?

Looking at the parts list here: http://cdn2.grizzly.com/partslists/g0752_pl.pdf

I'd bet you can trim off a bit more than that 1/16", combined from parts 204 and 205. Maybe part 202 in there someplace. I would really want to exam it in person.

Do you have a means of trimming those (and possibly their associated hardware) down?
No I do not have the tools to do that.

My thought is the issue is a manufacturing issue, a major defect and no modification should be necessary. Grizzly advertises the lathe to be able to use a 1/2 inch tool and can not.
I understand the foreign lates have different issues but selling a product with the compound to high to use off the shelf products is not acceptable. I purchased a Phase II and the same issue is present.

I am curious if this issue is limited to my lathe or with all G0752.

Thanks for your response.

Regards
Jojo

My thought is the issue is a manufacturing issue, a major defect and no modification should be necessary. Grizzly advertises the lathe to be able to use a 1/2 inch tool and can not.
I understand the foreign lates have different issues but selling a product with the compound to high to use off the shelf products is not acceptable. I purchased a Phase II and the same issue is present.

Regards
Jojo

One size does not fit and machinist know how to come up with a work around. I see two good suggestions above myself. Ball is in your court.

Self Help
South Bend "How to Run a Lathe"
E.T. Westbury" Lathe accessories how to make and use them"
Clausing "Lathe Operation and Machinists Tables"

You will probably really grow to hate that tool post. I have one on my mini lathe that doesn't bother me because I don't use it much. If I did I'd make a different tool post.

I see you have for easy options. If hhs turn the blank to the thinner side, for all tool blanks you can grind down the bottom, use 3/8" tooling, or just shim the back of the tool to drop the front.

Regards
Jojo
I don't use the 4-way tool post. It may be fine for production where the tooling seldom changes. I do too much tool changing to bother with shimming the bit. My 602 isn't my first lathe, so I ordered an import, wedge style QCTP when I ordered my lathe. I drug out my original 4-way and it will accept 1/2" bits and sits low enough that I would have to shim it to the work center. The 30 days should not apply in your case. The lathe was inoperable for part of that time waiting for warranty replacement parts. If you just have to have 1/2" tooling and really want to mess around with a fixed height tool post, then call Grizzly back and insist that they replace yours. Better yet, save yourself the trouble and get a QCTP.

What laser? I don't have a laser on my lathe. Is there some new feature I don't know about?

I think he meant lathe. Must be an auto-correction error

I don't use the 4-way tool post. It may be fine for production where the tooling seldom changes. I do too much tool changing to bother with shimming the bit.
I made a 4-way for my Logan. It is a huge improvement over the lantern. It was easy to make: certainly easier than making a tool holder for a quick change. I think it is also probably more rigid. Rather than buying or making a quick change and a couple of hundred dollars worth of holders I will probably eventually just make several 4-ways. I think I will be able to change out a 4-way as quickly as I could change a tool holder and of course the tools will already be shimmed.

Back