G0709 gearbox maintenance

Thanks for posting. I need to pull or at least loosen (and seal) the QCGB cover on my G0709 as it has developed a leak.

Bruce

You might not want to follow my lead here, though you may wish to profit from my example.

I cleaned the face of the box with acetone and again laid a bead of Permatex 82180 all around it.

Oiled the contact face of the lid with way oil as a release agent.

Put it together and waited the required 24 hours.

Release agent not so much. Also, cured not so much. It was cured around the edges, but not cured through. So it's quite the mess.

1689033437622.png

1689033532441.png

It was very clear that the original gasket had some material like this permatex on it, but the idea of replacing it with a layer of permatex is looking like it is a bust.

I'll let this cure and then clean it up.

The manual has a picture that has a gasket labeled "396" but the part list skips that.

1689033953648.png

1689033988481.png

Griz doesn't have a picture for what is probably the part. At least the part number fits...

Buying one of every gasket on this lathe would be $88.80... I'm quite sure that re-using the gaskets after replacing the spindle bearings was a mistake; I think it leaks slightly. So maybe I should just order the whole set.

Given the number of gaskets that are on backorder until next year, ordering a complete set sounds like it was not the worst idea I've ever had, and now I know what things not to take apart unless I really mean to. :D

@BGHansen answering your question in another thread: I bought a new gasket from Grizzly. It looked better than the one it replaced (the original had holes that were open on the outside, so they looked misaligned), but came loosely folded up and was a real pain to get to lie flat. How are you supposed to flatten things like this?

1689787967994.png

Anyway, it seems so far to be working.

Also, I found that I was looking at the wrong parts list; part 396 is in the manual, just in a different table than the one I looked at. This was my mistake.

Back