G0704 windshield wiper power feed project - need ideas for cluthc/coupler

More good stuff! Thanks guys!
Yeah, RJ, you're probably right...

jmx66,

we use coupler identical to the one, you showed, we use them on 10 to 20 ft/lb, powered 90 degree actuators, we find unless they are keyed to the shaft, they will slip. The other option, for us, as the coupling is enclosed, we drill the coupling, and drive a roll pin into the coupling, through into the shaft. Leaving about 3/16"-1/4" of the roll pin sticking out, so it can be removed (we drill into the shaft, but not through the shaft).

The torque required to rotate the lead screw will be measured in oz.-in. The steppers on my Tormach mill are 500 oz.-in. and the coupling clamp is similar to the one you show and clamps onto a 1/2" shaft, no key. I have never had the coupling slip. You should be fine without drilling for a pin.

If it were me, I would prefer the coupling slip rather than running intro some obstruction that would cause more serious damage.

RJ is right
You need to disengage the power feed way to often to use a set screw.

I chased this around for months on my mill.
Being able to disengage the power feed and complete the cut by hand is essential imo.
The best set up I could find was this one by Stefen Gotteswinter.
You can still make the connector even if you do not have a rotary table. Just mill a small plate with as many sides as you want teeth, and screw the connector to it.

I have other projects far more important to me than saving a few bucks on a power feed, so I dropped the money on one from Enco.
I had to fabricate an adaptor, I would post a photo but just discovered that Photobucket now charges $400.00/yr to embed images.
It is one of those items that gets used constantly, and every time I use it I am grateful I spent the money on it.

Some type of forked shift lever like Bill showed above with a simple dog clutch would be how I would do it. Love joys can be tight sometimes and using the set screw will get old quickly.

Thanks guys. Still waiting on the coupler. Once I have that I'll try some things.
Stefen's work is amazing. His skill level is an order of magnitude greater than mine. I think his patience is as well ;)

What are you using for a power supply? Need to use heavy wire because they take lots of amps to provide that torque.

Back