G0704 spindle hot

bisley45

Active User
Registered
Hello all its been a while since I have posted anything. I just got a brand new G0704 mill and when I did the spindle brake in the spindle got very hot is this normal? Also, it slung some of the nastiest smelling grease out of the top and bottom of the spindle. I might have to go in and clean that junk out and put some better quality grease in the spindle. Do you all recommend any specific grease?

thanks for any help Brian Milner

Define hot. Cannot touch, hot coffee/tea, warm, smoking hot!

The G0704 uses opposing tapered roller bearings on either end of the spindle. These bearings are adjusted with a preload to remove end play in the spindle. Because they are on opposite ends of the spindle, in use the spindle will warm and grow in length so the bearings are are adjusted slightly tighter when the spindle is cold. In use, the spindle will warm up and proper operating preload will be attained.

The spindle should be warm to the touch but not so hot that you can't hold your fingers on it. P/N 251 is adjusted for proper preload.

I am not aware of a spindle break on the G0704. Can you describe it or provide a part number for it?

Back