G0704 geared head hot?

great white

Active User
Registered
Its actually a cx600, which is just a busybee.com brand of the g0704 machine.

I’ve only had it for a week or so and I’m just doing small projects to get familiar with the machine and beginner milling operations.

I’ve noticed that the head seems to get very warm, bordering on what I would call hot.

Its not the motor, it’s forward of that in the head casting itself. I can touch the motor cover and the casing below where the motor is and its always much cooler than the casting at the front where the quill is.

I expect it to produce some heat, given the speeds and forces, but this seems to be quite hot.

Is this normal for this machine or should I start opening it up to look for something amiss?

Last edited:
Don't know the machine, but wonder if the oil is too heavy or overfilled.

Did you perform the Spindle Break-in? Often the bearing are pre-loaded and require a bit of break in to free up and then the temps usually go down. My mill definitely warms up when I've been running it for a while, but never too hot to touch.

Here's the procedure for the G0704:

Attachments

• g0704 Spindle Break-in.pdf
    53 KB · Views: 8
Did you perform the Spindle Break-in? Often the bearing are pre-loaded and require a bit of break in to free up and then the temps usually go down. My mill definitely warms up when I've been running it for a while, but never too hot to touch.

Here's the procedure for the G0704:
Nope, wasn’t detailed in the Craftex (thats the brand) manual that came with it. It does have similar info in it to the grizzly manual, its just missing some stuff. The run in procedure is one of them.

But, I did run it in without load while initially testing it after assembly. Just not as detailed as the grizzly manual.

I’ll run the grizzly “run in” procedure as it hasn’t had much use yet and its all in aluminum so the loads have been light.

Can’t hurt to do the run in procedure even if I’ve already been using it…

Here's the full manual if you need it.....

Attachments

• g0704_m.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 1
So I ran through the run in procedure from the grizzly manual. Turns out the head only gets warn (really warm) when the speed is at it's max. Anything much lower and the head stays (mostly) cool. So I guess it's just high speed running that builds up heat, which makes sense.

If it bugs me too much, I may look at installing a small fan to circulate some cooling air inside the casing. But for now, it's ops norm....:)

Back