G0704/g0759 Counterweight

RVJimD

Active User
Registered
I made this counterweight a while ago and sent a few pictures of it to a local friend recently and thought I would post them here for anyone thinking about something similar.

According to my friend who converted his 759 to CNC the head weighs in at about 65lbs, so my counterweight is an old dewalt tool box with 65lbs of lead shot. I reworked the cheap pulleys and added two each roller skate bearings. The original pulleys were dragging a bit on the rope and I could see the grey discoloration indicating the rope was sliding instead of the pulley turning. It really reduces the up cranking force required and if I decide to put a motor on the Z axis someday the counterweight will really help there as well.

f6cf747eea9a84531c8aab86b8565803_zpsh2t3rqnw.jpg

aefc3ee87c7c57c9f3e31bfd858016f8_zpspnnbc12i.jpg

b2d9b80e70e881dbf53430ebe862b48c_zps6z4nofrq.jpg

Jim

I think I'd short the weight by maybe 15% so the head doesn't float on the lead screw. If I'd have thought of that I wouldn't have had to put a windshield wiper motor on mine.

Tom, I always lock down the Z for all milling so it not like it is going to move around at that point. Is there some other reason to have down pressure on the screw?

Jim

Thought I would continue my G0759 thread. Today I finally got around to making a knurled knob for the right side table lock of the X axis. It is aluminum 1.5" OD and about .5" thick. I drilled the center hole 11/32" which was a press fit onto the stock metric hex of the spring loaded lock handle. This is much easier for me and quicker, and it is something I use for every milling operation since the table needs all the rigidity it can muster. You can see two notches in the center hole where I pressed it onto the hex. I also put a set screw in the knob, but probably didn't need to.

75B3E8A2-340E-4032-A223-F7311619C0E3_zpslucr51e6.jpg

Jim

Nice Jim , although I do not own that type of machine I very much admire them and have thought of how they could benefit from a counter weight .

Gas struts mounted to the side of the column / head also works well to counter balance the weight of the head. That is the approach I have taken with my PM-727 and X2 mills.

I have a 940 but don't have headroom for a pulley system. I have seen gas shocks on this site and would appreciate any photos and mounting tips. The head nods a lot unless locked and makes the Z axis DRO usless.

I had both a PM25 (similar to the G704), and a CO 9x40 prior to my current mill, and had Z axis scales on both and used them quite effectively. Once I properly fit the gibb (some scraping was involved in addition to adjusting), my head never moved more than .0004-.0008 (I don't remember which variance was on which machine), when going from loose to locked down. I simply remembered how much the number changed, and in what direction and simply moved to that number and THEN locked it down.

I've got the HF MILL DRILL, I'm thinking I can use a pulley on a bearing in the mill column like the delta drill press heads. Now you've got my inventive mind working on a plan ,where's my quill and blueberry ink and birch bark to draw it with. Oh I remember it's in the summer cave.

Back