G0619 - Powered Z-axis Handwheel And Other Mods

dsgoodsell

Registered
Registered
Recently I purchased a Grizzly G0619 Mill/Drill machine and found that a few things could be improved.

Cons:
1. The Z-Axis handwheel required a ton of turns to move head up or down for a tool change. Very tiring.
2. Moving the head upward was harder than moving it down, due to its weight.
3. The tiny DRO for the quill was hard to read unless the room lighting was just right.
4. Locking the spindle with the supplied pin spanner was awkward.

Attached are photos of the modifications I made to improve the operation.

Mod notes:
1. I extensively modified and adapted a Grizzly #H8178 Table Power Feed unit to directly drive the Z-Axis handwheel. Now a simple button push moves the head up or down, at variable speed. The manual handwheel can still be used for more precise calibrated movements. Sweet! A safety belt guard has been removed in the photo for better visibility.

2. As suggested in an excellent photo-tutorial by Ned Seith of home-machine-shop.com, I added two 50 lb. gas struts to balance the weight of the head. Struts: McMaster #9416K54.

3. I installed a small 110 VAC LED light to illuminate the quill DRO. Amazon: Magnetic Sewing Machine Gooseneck 10 LED Lamp.

4. I purchased a #T24342 Spindle Lock from Grizzly, then extended the tip of the lock pin and drilled a small hole in the side of the spindle cover so the cover could remain in place to protect the upper bearing.

Now I’m happy.

Hopefully, this info will be useful to other G0619 owners.

Dave

Modified mill with gas struts, Spindle Lock, Z-Axis powered handwheel and DRO illuminator

Modified Grizzly G0619 Mill.jpg

The belt guard has been removed for this photo

Z Axis Motor  Without Guard.jpg

Modified controller, see schematic below

Modified Z Axis Controller.jpg

Adapted upper and lower limit stops from Grizzly H8178 Power Feed

Z Axis Limit Stops Assy.jpg

Illuminator for Quill DRO

Quill DRO Illuminator.jpg

Attachments

• Z Axis Controller Schematic.pdf
    207 KB · Views: 43
Dave
This gets AAAAAA++++++ I like it!:encourage:
Tomh

I like the light for the quill DRO. Can't hardly read mine. Where did you find that?

Hi Dave,

Thanks for posting!
I had neither seen nor considered the idea of adding gas struts to help balance the weight like that.....I need to consider that for the knee of my big ole Cincinnati mill.....hmmm..........

Also appreciated is your great write-up and clear photos........nicely done.

Where did you get that large print wall chart? Is that of your own making?

Thanks again,
-brino

Dave,

A really nice, neat, and sensible set of mods! BTW, like the easy to read drill chart on the wall.

Bob

Dave,

A really nice, neat, and sensible set of mods! BTW, like the easy to read drill chart on the wall.

Bob and Brino,

Regarding the wall chart. I purchased it on Ebay. Search for "Starrett Wall Chart 25x39"

Dave

Hi My Sumore 3 in 1 had the most obnoxious headstock drive wheel ever. Had to reach up and around the mill to use it. Same answer, zdrive1.jpg zdrive2.jpg Put a variable drive on it ... works good enough to use as a backup feed.

For a starrett wall chart go to their web site and register, then go to the meteorology literature and place your order its free.
You can order all 3 charts 1 wall 1 pocket met 1 pocket std they sent me 5 each pocket charts and 1 wall.
Tomh

Back