G0602 VFD and ELS Mod

bspitz70

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I’ve been gathering the parts to do the VFD and ELS mods James Clough designed. Are there any users on here that have done either or both that might be able to help with a few questions I have. Thank you in advance.

I did the Clough42 ELS but not exactly as he had done. My hybrid stepper differed from his. Mine is located under the headstock. I used 1:1 pulleys on my stepper but ended up running the internal gearing on position on positions IC for 2x torque multiplication. Doing it over, I would do the multiplication with the gearbelt pulleys.

I also did a motor transplant but went with a 2.5 hp DC brush motor and a custom PWM controller.

I just finished the Clough42 ELS on my G0752 (G0602 with factory VFD). There are minor differences from James' setup.

Before you go with the links I send you...Clough just had a big issue with the "updated" servo...
Stepper Killer, Killer?
I didn't burn my bridges behind me with either the ELS or my motor conversion. I can convert back to my reversing banjo and gear train or back to the OEM gear train, if necessary. On the VSD motor, I have the Variac based drive that I first tried on my conversion or I can reinstall the OEM motor so I won't be without a lathe for more than an hour or so.

Something to consider when making one of these conversions though. My expectation is that a lathe will have a service life measured in decades at a minimum. What happens if you have a component failure in the future? Clough's failure happened soon enough after his conversion that he was able to get an exact replacement of his servo. Add a few more years and it may no longer exist in the market. Will a replacement fit in the crowded space? He expressed concern regarding reconfiguring a different servo to be able to meet his needs and he certainly has the capability to do that but if one of us ran into the same situation would we have the ability to do that? Do we even have enough documentation at hand to understand what we had done years ago?

When I decided to convert my lathe to a brushed DC drive, a major consideration was being able to repair/replace in the event of a component failure. With that in mind, I decide to roll my own controller using simple components which would not go out of production in the foreseeable future. Even at that, I have a backup supply of parts and a couple of serviceable controller boards to swap in, if needed.

With the ELS, I am more vulnerable. I do have a second display module for a backup and the power supplies will most likely be available in some fashion. The hybrid stepper driver I used may disappear though and there's no guarantee whatsoever regarding the Launchpad board. Even with that, new source code may well have to be written. One thing in my favor is that when I set mine up, I can power the driver separately from the control electronics and I turn it off unless a specifically want to thread or use power feed. This has the advantage of reducing wear on the lead screw drive train. I power feed for the final pass or two for a better finish Assuming that one doesn't have that capability, setting the feed rate to .001"/rev. when not in use will greatly reduce wear.

@RJSakowski You're completely right. There are many here that can deal with those changes and lack of availability of original components, adjust, compensate....do whatever is necessary and get things up and running. Much of this that I did to my machine is just a little magic sprinkled in gibberish. Thankfully there are many here that are ok with that type of person, and they are very understanding helpful. If nothing else, I would consider your own capabilities in the that scenario years down the road, both of these upgrades are SO convenient and helpful, I couldn't imagine life without them.

Really appreciate all the input!

Back