G0602 tail stock quill repair

This is how I did my tailstock. The tailstock needed about .010 in my case, the spindle needed much less. If I were modifying my ejector on the tailstock, I would make damn sure I can eject every tool that I have, tanged or not. That is the minimum, unless you want to remove your tapered tailstock tools with a slide hammer. Extending the ram well beyond interference with the ejector should be obvious before reaming.

View attachment 432147
Before today, it never entered my mind that the reamer would bottom. And I feel a little embarrassed that I didn't think to extend the quill to avoid it.

Good idea on using a collet chuck for the reamer. I hadn't thought of that or the dead center in the spindle. The dead center only works if there's a corresponding spot on the tap. I spent more time centering the silly tap in the four jaw, when I could have simply mounted my ER40 chuck... Dope slap.

At least I did a couple things right, like locking the quill when reaming, using the four jaw, and only moving the chuck by hand.

When I scored up my tailstock I realized I only had to take off the high spots and not re-machine the whole taper. I used the reamer by hand with cutting oil and got a great result.

I modified the MT3 tapers on my two chucks and my live center to a uniform length. This was about .20" shorter that the standard MT3. In the case of my live center, it had a button head cap screw that provided access to the bearings inside. I replaced the button head cap screw with a custom screw that recessed and gained about 5/8" of travel. On one, Igot tooo zealous and cut too much away so I drilled a hole in the end and pressed a button in the hole to correct.

In the event that a taper is too short to be ejected by the lead screw, on the 602 at least, if I loosen the nut on the dial , I can tap the lead screw forward to pop the taper out.

Just by a visual, it appears to be a bit better. Might blue a taper and see how much coverage I have. I really can't go any further in, as the male tools are receding into the tail stock just a little bit.

Never had a problem with the tapers being too short, all of mine are way too long. Have had to grind almost all of them. In any case, the tapers sort of pop out now, like they are spring loaded. Previously they were sort of pushed out slowly. Don't know if that is significant or not.

Back