G0509g 16x40 Drool Thread

For that kind of money a used Mori or Webb looks attractive, michael

There's a Mori 12x50 for sale locally for...wait for it...$2,000 yeah then I noticed its missing half the apron. I considering Mori or one of the clones, the Hwacheon was built in Korea under license from Mori. I think their 5,000 lb heft would crack my concrete I don't think I would risk it. Honestly I also don't know enough about used lathes to know if I was buying a lemon.

If I had the wherewithal to be shopping at this price point, I'd probably be inclined to hire a rigging company and get it done right. But then I'll likely never have to solve that problem. :)

That's not a bad idea, there's a guy who advertises rigging in my local area for $500 but I think that includes hauling. If I can get a pallet jack under it to move it into position then raise it up on the leveling pads to get the pallet jack out I may just do that.

I did briefly look at the PM1640

I already contacted Matt regarding that lathe, please join me in the PM forum for a discussion on that shortly.

I must say, I envy you guys buying all these new machines so frequently.

That's Bill's fault, him and his 3 mills and 3 lathes in 2 years he's a bad influence and instigator.:cussing:

One feature I would really like is to be able to set a stop and have the carriage travel up to that stop and stop on its own.

Last edited:
A lot of Asian machines are low to floor compared to American machines. A lot of Chinese motors have a huge turn on surge, likely the cause of the recommended plug size, but I am only guessing. No one in China does Mehanite castings so if lathe has M casting its going to be from Taiwan most likely. If you can be happy with a project and Chinese electronic products are that, the money saved will be welcome. For myself I am old enough with enough money saved that I don't want a project, I want something that works. Lots of guys are happy with the G0509 including Papa Grizzly him self and he could buy anything he wants, but I bet his is cherried out. Having run USA made machines has spoiled me, I could afford to take the gamble on a budget Chinese machine, but if it turns out to be crap I have to figure out a way to make it go away, i live way up a hill out in the sticks and bringing in a new toy and getting rid of the mistake is a hassle, hence why I have ruled out budget Chinese machines and 8K for a 1640 is a budget machine to be sure, not that 14K is a whole lot more, but it is more and likely gets you more, same reason all the guys are buying PM1340gt they could spend less and get Chinese but to them its worth the extra money for the perceived value, whether its real or not. Its all about compromises and choices. I had a chance once, it lasted 15 minutes to buy a factory rebuilt Monarch 10ee for 15K instead of the usual 50K or so at the time. I kick myself to this day, but I had just bought mine and the thought of having to sell it, ship a new lathe cross country and get it all past my tolerant wife was too much. 12 years later, we both agree I should have done it but I hesitated and the deal went to someone else. So if buying a bit of project doesn't bother you and you not bothered by swapping out big heavy equipment if it turns out you don't like it, the G0509 looks pretty good on paper. My final comment on the G0509, is that no matter how short of a headstock is attractive to a gunsmith, its still less rigid. Never seen a quality machine in my life with a spindle that short, kind of scares me. But then again I have seen match winning guns made on a little Rockwell that was half beat to death so its the guy in front of the machine, that matters most.

Enjoy your new toy what ever it turns out to be
michael

2. Floor to center height arrgh the G0670 wins that one at 44.25 inches vs the G0509G at 47 inches vs the G04003G at 46.25. I was hoping for a shorter height as my G4003G is about 4 inches too tall for me. So I'll be building a work platform to stand on.

7. G0509G swing over the saddle must be a misprint, its only 9.875 that's less than the G4003G's 11+ inches and way less than the G0670's 15+ inches. I'll have to confirm.

8. Spindle length on the G0509G is 5 inches shorter than the G0670. I know shorter is better for gunsmith work but the wider G0670 is probably more stout. I did confirm the Go509G has a 3 bearing spindle, 2 tapered and 1 roller.

I barely make 6' with boots on. I like the height. Maybe it fits the focal length of my prescription glasses better.

If I scientifically (tape measure and eyeball) measure my G4403G saddle height it is 1.25" above the top of the V ways. That means the swing over saddle is actually 9.5". The saddle on the G0509 must be 3.062" above the ways. That's beefy or mismeasured. Is there a reason to run the machine with the cross slide removed to gain the clearance to the saddle for turning? I think it is the swing over cross slide that counts for spindle turning. The swing over cross slide for the G0509 is 10". In the picture the saddle isn't higher than the cross slide. Certainly seems to be some confusion on what the measurement guy thinks a saddle is or how they measure clearance. Maybe someone measures to the bottom of the saddle and another to the top of some fictitious part. o_O

I like the shorter spindle length on the G4003G and probably the G0509. Works well for barrels.

I like the idea of the G0509 however.

Dave

That's Bill's fault, him and his 3 mills and 3 lathes in 2 years he's a bad influence and instigator.:cussing:

But I'm down to two each. That should count for something...wait...what am I instigating? :confused:

Dave - I noted the clearance over the saddle only because it stood out as an anomaly. I have found several mistakes in specs on lathes the last few days its getting a bit annoying actually. As for height at 5'7" I'm having to get up on my toes or stretch my neck around from the back of the carriage to see what I'm doing. Granted the leveling feet on my G4003G raised it up another 3 inches. Ideally I want to be able to look down from the top. Go out to your lathe, squat down 5 inches let me know what you think height wise.

Doubleeboy - In researching these made in Taiwan lathes I have come across posts confirming some are not 100% Taiwan. For one of the more expensive lathes they were getting the castings from China. Another guy had inquired about Mehanite iron and the 'M' in the casting and they just laughed, said the M was a hold over from when they copied the casting. While what you are saying may have held true once, I'm not sure if that's true today. Matt for example told me straight his PM-1640 is made in China. Yet the exact same lathe for the same price sold under a different brand is listed on ebay as made in Taiwan. I think not. Its a bit dodgy out there.

Back